Susan G. Pearl
8901, Duvall Road, Upper Marlboro, Prince Georges County
Waverly is a two-part Italianate style frame house consisting of a 2 1/2-story hip-roofed main block, to which is attached a two-story hip-roofed kitchen wing. The house, constructed in 1855 is distinguished by board-and-batten siding, bold Italianate cornice brackets, and a principal entrance which reflects elements of the Greek Revival and the Italianate architectural style. The main block of the building, facing east, is five bays wide. The central three bays are covered by a hip-roofed porch on square columns, now screened. The porch has a molded cornice and dentiled frieze, and rests on stone piers. The entrance consists of a double door with Italian detailing, with three tall transom lights and sidelights. The sidelights and two of the transom lights contain frosted floral-motif panes. The transom lights are separated from the sidelights by large deeply carved Eastlake-style brackets. Windows are mostly 6/6 sash with louvered shutters, but the central second-floor bay holds a pair of 4/4 sash windows, each with a single shutter. A shallow cross gable above this bay holds a four-light bullseye window in the tympanum. A pair of interior chimneys pierce both the east and west slopes of the standing-seam metal hip roof. The north and south slopes each hold a single gable-roofed dormer window, each with a pair of 2/2 round-arched windows below a central four-light bullseye window. The unbracketed eaves of the dormer roofs have a deep overhang. The west facade has no cross gable or double second-floor window, and the porch is a hip-roofed porch with a balustrade which covers all five first-floor bays. Filling the first bay of the north facade is a one-story semi-octagonal projecting bay with a full-length 4/6 window in each of the three faces. Shutters of these windows are full-length with louvers over a single molded panel. The kitchen wing is three bays wide. The north bay of the east facade contains an entrance with a three-light transom. The south bay of the west facade of the wing also holds an entrance. This bay and the center bay are covered by a hip-roofed screened porch. The interior central stairhall with double parlors on each side is highlighted by pastel colored marble mantels, molded plaster cornices and ceiling medallions, and a massive three-story staircase. Standing directly to the rear of the house are two of the original outbuildings, a meathouse and a washhouse, both reflecting the architectural elements of the dwelling in their board-and-batten siding and overhanging eaves punctuated by jigsawn cornice brackets. Other outbuildings on the property include a 20th century stable, shed, garage, and corn crib.
Waverly, constructed in 1855, is an excellent example of an Italianate style frame farmhouse in near original condition. It exhibits many fine features of the Italianate style, with its deeply overhanging eaves punctuated by bold jigsawn cornice brackets. The casing of the principal entrance is particularly fine, combining elements of both the Greek Revival and Italianate styles. It is a rare local example in this period of board-and-batten siding. Waverly's interior is distinguished by its handsome marble mantels, molded plaster cornices and ceiling medallions, and massive three-story staircase. Two contemporary buildings stand immediately behind the house; they reflect the architectural style of the dwelling with their hip roofs, board-and-batten siding, and overhanging eaves with jigsawn cornice brackets. Waverly, at the time of its construction, served as an example to at least one other prominent local house-builder. Today it is the unique surviving example of its genre in Prince George's County.