4400, Green Valley Road (MD 75), Union Bridge, Carroll County
Wilson's Inheritance is a mid-19th century farmstead that illustrates an affluent agricultural complex of central Maryland. The property retains numerous period outbuildings and the architectural character of the 1832-38 farmhouse presents a variation on the regional Pennsylvania farmhouse that indicates the prosperity of its original owner. This variation consists of an inset, double-tiered porch in the central two bays of the six-bay main façade. Other exterior features of the house, such as its L-shaped plan, stone foundation, common bond brickwork (Flemish bond on the main façade), gable roof, ornamentation, and its siting into a slope, are characteristic of farmhouse construction in Carroll and surrounding counties. However, the interior of the house displays more elaborate ornamentation in the mantelpieces, chair rails, door frames, and other woodwork than is typically found in the regional farmhouses. The total farm complex, that includes a bank barn, blacksmith shop, washhouse, smokehouse, chicken houses, sheds, and a privy, is relatively intact and represents a large and prosperous farming operation of the mid-19th century.
Wilson's Inheritance presents a farmhouse and farmstead that embodies the distinctive characteristics of the early-to-mid 19th century in Piedmont Maryland. The farmhouse, built in 1837-38, represents several features of the typical Pennsylvania farmhouse in style and construction, but includes significant variations in its main façade design, floor plan, and interior ornamentation that indicate the affluence of the original owner. From 1875 to 1974, the farm was owned by the Francis J. Englar and Francis J. Englar, Jr., families who were influential farmers and citizens of this region. The Englar family enlarged the barn and remodeled several rooms in the farmhouse to rural Victorian-style standards. Overall, the farm complex retains almost all of its 19th century buildings and the significant 19th century features of these structures, including an abundance of period hardware. The complex possesses infinite material for the study of agriculture and rural architecture in central Maryland.