MHT File Photo
14510, Mt. Nebo Road, Poolesville, Montgomery County
Mt. Nebo is a large 2 1/2-story gable roofed frame dwelling located near Poolesville in western Montgomery County. The house was constructed in three periods: the main block, dating to the second quarter of the 19th century, is three bays wide by one room deep and faces south. It rests on a sandstone foundation and has a brick exterior chimney on each gable. The main entrance is located in the central bay, and consists of a five-panel door in a classical surround with sidelights and transom, under a one-bay-wide portico supported by square posts. Windows flanking the entrance are 9/6 sash, and the second floor is lighted by 6/6 sash. There is evidence that the central bay on the second floor once held a door opening onto the roof of the portico. The interior is arranged in a center-hall plan, and retains the majority of its Greek Revival-influenced trim. A 1 1/2-story wing extends from the rear of the main block. This section appears to have been an earlier (late 18th century) dwelling. A three-bay, two-story addition was made to the east gable end of the main block around the turn of the 20th century. All sections are covered with sawn weatherboards, and have standing-seam metal roofing. Also on the property is a mid-19th century log smokehouse in good condition, and the remains of an early terraced "waterfall" garden. The yard also features 19th century sandstone water troughs, benches, and mounting block.
Mount Nebo is significant for its architecture, representing a type of dwelling characteristic of large plantations in western Montgomery County in the second quarter of the 19th century. Distinguishing characteristics of this type include frame construction, center-hall plan, and 2 1/2-story height. Mount Nebo also retains Greek Revival-influenced interior decorative detailing including symmetrically molded architrave trim, mantles with pulvinated friezes, paneled doors, stair, and balustrade. An earlier building is incorporated as an ell at the rear. Other significant features of the property include an early log smokehouse, and the remains of a terraced "waterfall" garden. The property derives additional significance from its association with the White family through the latter half of the 19th century. Joseph White (1825-1903) was a locally prominent supporter of the Confederate cause during the Civil War.