Paul Baker Touart
Old Rehobeth Road (MD 667), Marion, Somerset County
The property known as Pomfret Plantation comprises a two-story, four room plan gable roofed frame house constructed c. 1810-1830. The house, which faces southeast, is three bays wide, with a transomed central entrance flanked by 6/6 sash windows, and rests on a raised foundation of brick laid in common bond. Brick interior chimneys with corbeled caps rise from the gable ends. The walls are sheathed with wood shingles over flush weatherboards, and the steeply pitched roof is covered with asphalt tile. A two-story shed-roofed porch with turned posts and a balustrade spans the facade. A two-story hyphen extends to the southwest, joining an early-19th century kitchen wing oriented perpendicular to the main block, one room wide by three bays deep. Two sides of the kitchen have one-story shed-roofed additions, and a modern two-bay wing extends from the rear of the main block. The house retains most of its original interior finish and ornament, including chair rail, baseboard, and architrave moldings, stair and balustrade, paneled doors and wainscoting, and mantels. Also on the property is a post-Civil War frame tenant house, and a 19th century Coulbourne family cemetery.
"Pomfret Plantation" derives its primary significance from its architecture. This early-19th century two-story four-room plan house retains the overwhelming majority of its well-executed Federal period interior woodwork, the quality and condition of which distinguishes the house among a small collection of Federal period plantation houses in Somerset County. In addition to its well-preserved interior, the house is distinguished by its galleried porch and contemporaneous two-story frame kitchen. The property derives additional significance from its association with the locally prominent Coulbourne family, early settlers of this section of Somerset County. The Coulbourne family and their descendants owned and primarily farmed "Pomfret" through nine continuous generations beginning with William Coulbourne in 1663, and ending with the sale of the farm in 1921.