18848, York Road (MD 45), Parkton, Baltimore County
The Parkton Hotel is a 2 ½-story brick structure, five bays wide by three bays deep, constructed between 1850 and 1860 at the intersection of the Baltimore and York Town Turnpike (now York Road) and the Baltimore and Susquehanna Railroad in the village of Parkton in northern Baltimore County, Maryland. The principal (west) façade is symmetrical, and is spanned by a two-tiered, shed-roofed gallery which wraps around the south gable end. A total of three first-floor entrances are located in the central end bays; another door in the central bay of the second story affords access to the upper deck of the gallery. Windows of 6/6 sash with heavy wooden lintels occupy the remaining openings. Three gabled dormers with 2/2 sash are evenly spaced in the west slope of the building’s gable roof, which is clad in standing-seam metal. The south gable end has a centered 6/6 window on the first floor, flanked by doors; the right-hand entrance is formal, featuring a transom and sidelights of frosted glass with a foliated pattern. Above, a centered door opens onto the second-story deck. The half-story is lighted by a large central pair of 4/4 windows, flanked by 2/2 sash. The north gable exhibits similar fenestration but lacks entrances and porch. Both gables have paired interior end chimneys. A two-story, two-bay, shed-roofed frame addition dating from 1884 extends to the rear of the brick block; this ell has a simple Italianate-influenced cornice at each end and a one-story porch with turned posts and scrollwork brackets across its south façade. The interior of the building retains much of its original, severely plain architrave trim and four-panel doors, with two simple mantels. The building retains considerable integrity and has benefited from sensitive restoration in recent years.
The Parkton Hotel is significant for its association with the development of transportation in the 19th century between the important market centers of York, Pennsylvania and Baltimore, Maryland. In the mid 19th century, the primary transportation links between these points were the Baltimore and York Town Turnpike, completed in 1810, and the Baltimore and Susquehanna Railroad, which opened in 1838. The Parkton Hotel, constructed in 1850-1860, was advantageously sited at an intersection of these major arteries and accommodated travelers using both modes. Of the many hotels which were integral to Baltimore County’s 19th century transportation network, only six remain. The Parkton Hotel derives additional significance from its architecture, which embodies the distinctive characteristics of mid-to-late 19th century lodgings in rural northern Maryland in its brick construction, simple massing, multiple entrances, and limited interior and exterior ornament. Pennsylvania influence is reflected in the two-story porch which spans the west façade; the building retains a high degree of integrity.