Jennifer K. Cosham
Sandy Point Farmhouse
South Beach Road, , Sandy Point, , Anne Arundel County
The Sandy Point Farmhouse is a five-part common-bond brick house. Single-story hyphens and the two single-story wings frame the two-story central block. The single-bay tower which covers the central bay on the northern façade of the central block has a one-story gabled porch on the north side, sheltering the door, and a 6/9 light window in its second story. The porch features chamfered and lamb’s tongued posts at the front and pilasters at the wall of the stair tower. The eaves of the porch roof are supported by beaded beams, and the front entrance has an elliptical arch with a beaded edge. The interior of the tower contains the stairs. The first story windows are 9/9 sash, those on the second story are 6/9, and the four gabled dormers, a pair on the north and a pair on the south, have 6/6 sash windows. The gable ends of the wings which face north-south each has a semi-circular window at attic level. Splayed jack arches surmount all window openings except in the gables of the wings which have segmental rowlock arches. The roof lines of the wings and of the tower run north-south while the roof lines of the central section and of the hyphens run east-west. The stair tower is now known to have been added later in the 19th century, according to architectural evidence revealed during restoration work. The use of a corbeled-brick cornice on the exterior of the tower compared to the dentiled cornice used on the main block also indicates a later construction date. Flush chimneys rise from the center of each gable end. A late 19th century porch covers the three center bays of the rear (south) façade, and is now enclosed with screening. A similar porch covers the east façade of the east wing, but is now enclosed with siding and lighted with sash windows. A brick dairy and smokehouse and a frame granary or carriage shed are also located on the property.
The brick Sandy Point Farmhouse exemplified several characteristics of Maryland architecture. Its five-part plan---a 2-story central block connected to two wings by single-story hyphens---occurs often in 18th-century southern Maryland architecture. The fact that the Sandy Point Farm House was built in an 18th century style in the 19th century---making it a "hold-over"---is also typical of Maryland domestic architecture. The house was constructed c. 1815 for John Gibson, a member of the Annapolis elite. Gibson was well-connected, and a relative of Samuel Ogle, an 18th century Governor of Maryland. He was also a business associate of Charles Carroll of Carrollton (Signer) and served as one of the first stockholders and directors of the Farmers Bank in Annapolis, organized in 1805.