Francis E. Engle
Sudley Road, West River, Anne Arundel County
Evergreen is a 2 1/2-story white frame house facing east, comprised of several sections. The earliest portion of the building is the first floor of the southern section, having been built c. 1760 as a 1 1/2-story gambrel-roofed frame house constructed by George Neall. Woodwork from the second and third quarters of the 18th century survive in this section, including six-panel doors with H-L hinges, a closed string staircase, and extremely wide exterior siding with beaded edges. That this portion was originally covered with a gambrel roof is confirmed by a box cornice and overhang between the first story and the later second story. The mid section is of similar period and both are termed "colonial" in style. The last section, to the north, is in the late Federal style and confirms the building date, 1853, traditionally assigned to this portion of the house. The two most recent sections form a visual "main block," and a wide veranda extends across the east front of this section. The main entrance is in the third bay from the north end, and consists of a wide door surmounted by a 6-light transom. Fenestration, due to the multiple building periods, is irregular, and no opening appears in the next bay to the south of the door. The four windows on the first floor of the main block hold 9/6 sash. The six second floor windows and all the windows in the earliest portion of the house hold 6/6 windows. All windows are flanked by louvered shutters. The east side of the roof holds three gable-roofed dormers in the main block. The original section has no dormers. Brick chimneys stand at either end of the main block. A 19th century frame out kitchen extends behind the west facade of the dining room. The connecting passage has been replaced by the current kitchen. Its large corbeled chimney serviced the cooking fireplace, with its wood interior lintel, iron crane, and utensils. Exposed ceiling joists in this section measure four by five inches.
Built in at least three stages, Evergreen is significant for representing building evolution from the third quarter of the 18th century to the late 19th century. Evergreen is also significant for its association with the Fenwick family, who owned the property from 1816 until 1937.