MHT File Photo
Wilkins Lane (MD 664), Chestertown, Kent County
Facing north towards the Chester River, Godlington Manor is a frame gambrel roof structure with a long frame 1 1/2 story kitchen wing. A shed-roofed porch extends across the north and south facades of the gambrel portion and the area beneath the roof is paved with brick. Much of the original beaded clapboard remains, though covered with layers of whitewash. A brick chimney is located within each gable of the gambrel section and in the west kitchen gable. The first story of each of the two end chimneys is exposed. Three shed-roofed dormer windows pierce either side of the gambrel roof, and two similar windows pierce either side of the gable-roofed kitchen wing. Windows throughout hold 6/6 sash. The interior is divided into four rooms, two in the gambrel portion and two in the kitchen. Other than the stenciled walls of the second story, it is finished in plain order, with four-panel doors and vertical beaded board walls. There is a fireplace in each of the two end rooms, one containing a 19th century 'Franklin' stove made by Aldridge Stove Co., Chestertown, Kent County. The kitchen wing is very crude and is finished with wide split lath which holds the mud-filling in the walls. The whole irregular surface is covered with several layers of whitewash. It has a large pyramidal fireplace, reconstructed within the last 20 years. The ceiling beams are exposed and covered with whitewash. Batten doors lead outside. A steep ladder beside the fireplace reaches to the second story rooms. A shed-roofed bath addition has been made on the north side of the smaller of the two rooms. Two old outbuildings remain, a frame milkhouse and a brick smokehouse. The milkhouse is a square building with three windows and a door, beaded siding, batten shutters and pyramidal roof with obelisk finial. Its interior is plastered and has a sunken area with water trough around the exterior walls. The smokehouse is a gable-roofed rectangular structure with a stepped brick cornice and a batten door. These are located immediately west of the kitchen; the smokehouse is on the north and the dairy is on the south. A boxwood garden, which has reached maturity, was laid out c. 1900 east of the house. The rest of the grounds were planted c. 1930, when plans for constructing a new mansion house were abandoned due to the financial depression.
The significance of the house is the unusual interior stencilwork, paneling, and woodwork, as well as its outbuildings and garden. It is also significant as an undisturbed example of a shed-roofed porch type 18th century farm dwelling, which has always been owned by the same family.