Michael F. Dwyer
5721, Randolph Road, Rockville, Montgomery County
The Montrose Schoolhouse is a one-story, rectangular, hip-roofed building of frame construction with a pebble-dash finish. On the principal (south) facade, a gabled projecting vestibule holds the recessed entrance; the double entrance doors are surmounted by a transom of two large horizontal panes surrounded by a band of small lights, sheltered by a bracketed hood and flanked on either side by a tall, narrow 4/4 window. The gable frames a sign reading "MONTROSE SCHOOL 4-4". The roof is covered with patterned metal; the eaves project and have curved soffits. The side elevations each have a group of five (one covered on the east) large 4/4 windows to light the two classrooms. The interior has been adapted to office use. A series of brick and cinderblock additions have been made to the rear of the building.
Montrose Schoolhouse is significant for its architecture, as an excellent example of an early-20th century school building embodying the functional, rationalistic design principles which were then promoted nationally. Montrose Schoolhouse embodies a concern for adequate light and ventilation in its high ceilings, multiple tall windows, and air vents in the roof and foundation. Its storage space, amenities, and circulation patterns were also designed to maximize efficiency. In its local context, it is the best-preserved of the six functional school buildings constructed in Montgomery County around 1910.