Photo credit: Robert Neill , Spring, 1976

Property Name: Chestertown Railroad Station
Date Listed: 12/8/1982
Inventory No.: K-346
Location: Railroad Avenue & Cross Street, Chestertown, Kent County

Description: The Chestertown Railroad Station, located at the west end of Cross Street in Chestertown, Kent County, Maryland, was built in 1902-1903 in the Queen Anne style. It is 1 1/2 stories tall and exterior dimensions are 17' x 47' with a 4'-6" x 12' bay on the track side. The building has a brick base 4' high with timber frame and rough textured stucco to the plate line. A hip roof with a wide bracketed overhang that provided shelter for train passengers extends on all four sides. Supporting timber brackets match the timbers in the exterior walls. Small gable pediments protrude above the overhang on the north and south gables. The central chimney which served the original potbellied stove, the only heat source for the station, still exists. The majority of the interior woodwork, including wainscoting, doors, transoms, sash, and trim remains in nearly intact condition.

Significance: The significance of the Chestertown Railroad Station derives from two sources. Erected 1902-1903 for the Pennsylvania Railroad, the station acquires significance from its role in history. As the only station in Chestertown which, as the county seat, was the political and economic center of Kent County, the station was a terminus for the movement of people and goods, raw materials and finished products, for the first seven decades of the 20th century. Architecturally, the building embodies the distinctive characteristics of Queen Anne style at the turn of the 20th century, including the variety of exterior textures (brick and half-timbering), hip roof with bracketed overhang, 16/1 sash, and interior woodwork. Queen Anne architecture was used frequently for railroad stations in Maryland. On the Eastern Shore, a number of stations were built with half-timbering. Today the Chestertown station is the only remaining in Maryland. Although moved 44 feet north of its original location, the building does still retain integrity of design, materials, and workmanship contributing to the original feeling and association with its historic role.




close