Mark R. Edwards
Moses Brown House
6736, Ridge Road, Marriottsville, Carroll County
The Moses Brown House consists of two three-bay sections: a circa 1785 2 1/2-story log structure with a symmetrical façade and steeply pitched gable roof to which is attached a circa 1814 2 1/2-story stone building with the entrance in the south bay and a low gable roof. The roof axis runs east/west. The log section sits on a stone foundation, with an internal brick-flued stone chimney at the south gable end. Facing east, the central door is flanked by two windows with original paneled shutters, but late 19th century 2/2 sashes. The wall here on the first floor is plastered and whitewashed. Windows on the second floor are 6/6 with louvered shutters. Various porches and additions are attached to the south and west sides of this portion of the house, which is covered with late 19th century weatherboarding with corner boards. The stone section is attached to the north end of the log portion. The front façade is also three bays in width, and is notable for its huge doorway opening, with deep paneled reveals and four-light transom. Voissoired lintels and cut stone sills are present here, as well as in all windows. First floor windows are 12/12 lights, and retain original shutters each of which are divided into three raised panels. Windows on the second story are smaller, with only 8/6 lights. A simple boxed cornice marks the intersection of roof and walls. The north end of the north stone section has two 4-light casement windows in the attic level flanking the massive internal stone end chimney. Between these windows is a slate block with the initials "MB" (for Moses Brown, who had the house built) and the date "1814", the year this stone section of the house was erected. The rear elevation of the stone section has identical fenestration to the front, with the exception of a 6/6 window at the southwest corner between the first and second floor level, which lights the stairs. All basement windows on this and the front façade originally had diamond shaped bars. All now have replacement outer windows and are blocked.
The Moses Brown House is significant as an example of late 18th-early 19th century Carroll County architecture in transition both in style and in the status of the person for whom it was erected. The original section of this two part house is a 2 1/2-story log structure which was erected about 1785 and is notable for the very high pitch of the roof, corner fireplaces (one of which retains an original mantelpiece), and much original extant simple Classical influenced woodwork (particularly the mantelpiece with the ogee frieze in the west first floor room). As the owner prospered, the second portion of the house, a stone structure, was erected. Built about 1814 (the year recorded in the date stone), this stone section exhibits a volumetric and stylistic sophistication in woodwork found in new houses of this period in southeastern Carroll County.