Chesapeake Beach Railway Station
Mears Avenue, Chesapeake Beach, Calvert County
The 93' long main facade of the frame Chesapeake Beach Railway station faces north. The station is comprised of two one-story, hip-roofed sections. The lower-roofed eastern part was once an open passenger boarding area. Although later owners enclosed this area for storage, the building retains its original lines and construction. A porch shelters the main terminal's three exposed sides. The hipped roof flares out to cover this porch. Chamfered braces, rather than posts, support the roof. A square two-story tower protrudes from the north side. Its pyramid roof rises above the main terminal ridge. A cross gable lights the south side. German siding sheathes the terminal. Composition shingles now cover the roof. The tower's fenestration is identical on both levels. A pair of joined sash windows pierce the north side. A single window appears on the east and west sides of this projecting tower. All these windows hold 20/1 sash. To the east of the tower a transomed door of six oddly spaced panels is centered between two 20/1 windows. A 10/10 sash window is situated west of the tower. On the south side one joined pair of 20/1 sash windows lights the tower, while another pair lights the first floor below. A door appears to either side of this window. Each door is topped by a single-pane transom. The west door contains four vertically placed rectangular panels divided by one horizontally placed panel. The transom framing of the east door includes an odd molding that does not survive elsewhere in the building. The exposed and chamfered framing of the porch roof is one of the finest decorative features of the building. The braces support a member resembling a purlin or a tilted false plate, which in turn supports the porch rafters.
Erected in 1898 for the Washington and Chesapeake Railway Company, the station at Chesapeake Beach derives significance from its association with the transportation and related commercial history of Calvert County and as an excellent example of rural railroad architecture. Otto Mears' Washington and Chesapeake Railway Company ran from the fall of 1898 until the spring of 1935. The station was likely the work of a Mr. Winston, who was the contractor and builder for most of the houses and structures in the original town and park.