Michael F. Dwyer
Hanover Farm House
19501, Darnestown Road (MD 28), Beallsville, Montgomery County
Hanover Farm House consists of three sections: the main block and kitchen wing dating to 1801-1804, and a 1 1/2-story modern kitchen wing added in 1954. The house is built of brick with red brown sandstone foundations. The main block is two stories plus attic, three bays wide by one deep. The brick on the front (south) wall is laid in Flemish bond. The roof is patterned metal. A boxed cornice, supported by a 10" curved molding, covers the rafter ends. A one-story porch with plain round pillars extends across the main block. The doorway in the center bay has a four-light transom above the four-panel door. The two side bays each contain a 9/6 sash window at the first floor level and a 6/6 window in each bay of the second floor, all with jack arches, and the windows and doors have stone sills. The west wall contains a flush chimney, and no windows on the first and second floor levels. Two four-pane attic windows flanking the chimney have brick headers forming the flat arches. A brick on this, the back and east walls, is laid up in three-course common bond. The north wall contains five windows. The two side bays contain 9/6 windows on the first floor and 6/6 on the second floor, corresponding to those on the front of the house. In the center bay there is a 6/6 window halfway between the first and second floor levels which lights the stairway. Below this window, a little to the right, is a bricked-in doorway. The old kitchen wing, originally connected to the main block by a breezeway, runs east in line with the main block, but at a lower elevation. There are three steps descending from the main block to this wing. The exterior chimney on the east wall of the main block is visible above the roof of the kitchen wing. In 1954, the wooden kitchen structure was replaced by a 1 1/2-story brick wing.
The house on Hanover Farm derives its significance from three major sources. It is significant for its agricultural association as the residence of five generations of a Maryland family who for over 160 years have made their living farming this land which is one of the earliest tracts platted in Montgomery County. It is significant for its architecture as an excellent and typical example of Maryland’s classically influenced rural architecture of the early 19th century and how these buildings were often enlarged and adaptive to changing tasks and lifestyles of the occupants, yet still retaining the basic features. Finally, it is significant for its local and state political associations as the home of a Revolutionary War soldier, William Hempstone, for whom the house was erected, his son Nathan who served on several local county commissions, and a third generation owner and occupant, Charles Greenburg Griffith. Griffith married Caroline Hempstone and served one term as a Montgomery County Commissioner and two terms in the Maryland Legislature, 1905 and 1918.