Spielman Road (MD 63), Fairplay, Washington County
The Hogmire-Berryman Farm, dating from the late 18th or early 19th century, includes a brick house, an early 19th century stone secondary dwelling, the ruins of a stone outbuilding, a stone root cellar, a brick privy, and a large stone end bank barn. The main brick farmhouse is a multipart structure showing initial construction from the first decade of the 19th century or earlier. It had additions made and renovations in the mid-19th century and again during the 1890-1910 period. As it stands today, the house is a two-story, five-bay structure with irregular door and window placement. Its entire surface has been painted. Extending across the four southern bays of the front elevation above the foundation is an ovolo molded brick watertable. Flemish bond brickwork is used at the front (east) elevation. At the south end wall and the south bay of the rear (west) elevation common bonding is used, with three rows of stretchers to one course of headers. Other areas have common bond with five rows of stretchers to each header course. Flat arches of brick are present above the windows at the front and south end walls. There is a brick arch above the entrance. A vertical seam in the masonry appears from the top of the first story level to the eaves just south of the third bay from the south end of the house. Seams in the brickwork suggest major additions to the house in the mid 19th century. Windows have 6/6 sash, the full sized ones having pairs of two-panel shutters. One small 4/4 light window, located in a stair landing, is set against the addition's seam at the rear wall. One window opening above the main entrance has been bricked shut. The main entrance is located in the second bay from the south end of the front elevation. Above the six-panel door is a three-light transom. The roof of the house is covered with standing seam metal. Brick chimneys are located inside the gable ends and at the interior of the house.
This farm complex is significant for its architecture, which is representative of the early 19th century and later construction techniques used in the Cumberland Valley. It is also worthy of note because it retains a complete set of period outbuildings typically found on farms in this region, including a secondary dwelling for hired help or slaves, a root cellar for food storage, a service building probably for butchering or smoking, and a privy. The root cellar with its vaulted top is particularly important since so few remain. Architecturally, the house is perhaps most noteworthy for the changes it has undergone; rather than high style, these have been typical vernacular alterations to suit the family's needs. The house is also an unusually early brick building in Washington County. According to visible architectural evidence, the original part of the existing house, dating from the late 18th or early 19th century, was the south two bays, two stories in height. It appears that to this was attached a one-story extension to the north wall. This wing was not as wide as the main part of the house. Later in the mid-19th century an addition was built, raising the one-story brick building to two stories and widening it to the full breadth of the main section. The building was further extended to the north by one bay on the east and two bays on the west wall. A still later renovation, c. 1890-1891, produced the woodwork present through most of the house. The early brick masonry on the oldest parts of the house is evidenced by the presence of a water table and common bond brickwork laid with three rows of stretchers to each header course. The later 19th century masonry work is clearly evident. Without more thorough examination of the structure, involving dismantling, no other 18th century evidence would be seen. Brick construction dating from the second quarter of the 19th century is quite rare in Washington County and in the Cumberland Valley. Therefore, examples of brick architecture from the 18th and early 19th centuries are particularly significant.