Charity V. Davidson
Prince William & Mansion Streets, Princess Anne, Somerset County
Teackle Mansion is a large five-part Federal-style Flemish bond brick mansion. Its central part is three bays long and two stories tall on a high basement, with its pedimented gable facing east onto Prince William Street. Each of the hyphens is four bays long, two stories tall on the street side with a pent roof sloping to one story height on the west side. The wings are two bays long and three bays deep and have firewalls extending above the gable roofs, with the gable facing the street. All of the windows and doors on the facade have rusticated wood lintels with keystones. Plaster panels, now painted white, are recessed between stories above the first story windows. Reeded pilasters support a flat architrave around the central double door. A large oeil-de-boeuf window is within the pediment. The main cornice is simple, with pairs of block-like modillions spaced on the fascia. A large chimney pierces the roof at each side of the central block. The fenestration of the garden west facade is the same as the main facade, however, without a pediment, and with two windows in place of the oeil-de-boeuf window. Each of the two hyphens has a central door, each flanked by a pair of windows on either side of the door; each of the two wings has a central door flanked by a single window on either side of the door. The chimneys in the wings pierce the ridge of the roof near the west wall.
Teackle Mansion is important chiefly because of its unique architectural design. It is one of the few original five-part houses remaining on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Teackle Mansion was contracted between 1802 and 1805 by Littleton Dennis Teackle, a local merchant of great means, who was a co-founder of the Bank of Somerset and was also a member of the General Assembly of Maryland between 1828 and 1832. While in the Assembly, he was actively involved in the development of an educational system for Maryland.