Mark R. Edwards
11530, Thrift Road, Clinton, Prince Georges County
Wyoming is a frame house consisting of three separate and distinct sections: the main block built in the third quarter of the 18th century, a c. 1800 kitchen, and a connecting two-bay section of c. 1850. The gambrel-roofed two-story main block is five bays wide and two deep and sits on a raised brick basement with a molded water table. The north facade holds a door surmounted by a four-light transom in the center bay. The other bays contain 9/9 sash windows with louvered shutters. This whole first story is sheltered by a shed-roofed porch roof on square posts, with no porch floor. The door is accessed via a short flight of wooden steps, and the posts rest on brick piers. The south facade is identical, but the transom on this side was covered sometime after 1936. The gambrel roof is pierced by three shed-roofed dormers with 6/6 sash windows on both the north and south facades. The east and west ends of the building each have two massive exterior chimneys. Those on the west end are covered by the c. 1850 two-story addition. A small 4/4 sash window pierces the second floor to the north of the north chimney. A small 4-light window pierces the attic gable between the chimneys. The chimneys on the east end have a pent between, with a small four-light pent window. The north bay of this facade holds a 9/9 sash window with louvered shutters on the first floor, and a 6/6 sash window above. The west end of the central addition has a 6-light window in the attic, and the west end of the small 1 1/2-story c. 1800 kitchen has an exterior chimney flanked by 4-light windows in the attic gable. A number of structural features indicate that the house may have begun as a three-bay structure, and was later expanded by two bays. A seam or interruption in the brickwork is visible in the basement on the south facade, and a complete basement is only found under the easternmost three bays. The first floor plan consists of a central hall flanked by two double parlors. The central hall is subdivided by a Federal-style transverse arch. Beautifully designed, the arch consists of a classical plinth, reeded pilasters, capital and molded arch with keystone. Architrave trim, and chairrail are also original. The stairway, with Victorian newel post, balusters, and heavy banister, was installed in the mid to late 19th century. The parlors are notable for their fine Federal mantels. A number of outbuildings remain, including a board-and-batten tool shed, a shed-roofed animal pen, two barns, a corn crib, and 20th-century garages and caretaker's house. A small Marbury family cemetery is located south of the main house in a grove of trees. This includes a large obelisk dedicated to Catharine Taylor Marbury, the wife of Fendall Marbury, who died in 1866. Wyoming is also notable for its great planting of boxwood, forming a walkway leading to the front of the house.
Wyoming, a well preserved example of Maryland's gambrel-roofed colonial architecture, is more specifically noteworthy as an excellent example of southern Maryland tidewater architecture. Its exterior double chimneys with pent represent a distinctive design feature it has in common with other regional houses. Its interior holds some of the finest Federal mantles and woodwork extant in an early Prince George's County house. Wyoming is also representative of the logical evolution or expansion of a house in sections, commonly known as the "telescope." Lastly, with the exception of Mt. Pleasant, the house may have the oldest boxwood in the county planted on its grounds. Wyoming is also significant historically as the ancestral home of the Marburys, a family which produced many of Maryland's political, professional, and judicial leaders through the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries. The house has been continuously owned by members of the family from its construction c. 1750 until 1973.