Michael O. Bourne
Friendship Road (MD 261), Friendship, Anne Arundel County
Originally a primitive, two-room, 1 1/2-story frame dwelling constructed in the fall or winter of 1698, Holly Hill is now an elongated, brick, T-shaped house. In the spring or summer of 1713, an 18 foot square addition was made, and c. 1730 the entire structure was encased in brick and a long brick perpendicular addition was constructed on the west end. The main block faces north, and is 7 bays long, with the principal entrance in the fourth bay from the east end. These four bays were the original portion of the building. The three bays to the west were added in 1713. Massive flush chimneys rise from either gable end of this main block, and are decorated with recessed, arched panels. Windows on the principal façade are 9/9 sash, with 16-light casement windows in the two gabled dormers on the roof. This façade was originally covered by a roofed colonnade supported by 6 columns, as shown in an historic painting. The south façade is pierced by two entrances and three windows. The center window, lighting the half story of the stairwell, has 12 lights. The other two windows on this façade are 6/9 sash. Two gabled dormers with 16-light casement windows appear on this roof façade, as well. A screened porch covers the first floor of this façade. The east gable end of the building is two bays wide, with small cellar windows, segmental-arched narrow 9/9 windows on the first floor, and segmental arched narrow 4/4 windows in the attic gable. The c. 1730 brick section of the house, which runs north to south, and is attached to the west gable end of the main block, is five bays in length. The three bays exposed on the east façade north of the main block contain a door with an 8-light transom in the south bay and 9/9 sash windows in the two northern bays. This façade of the roof is pierced by two gabled dormers with 6/6 sash windows. A single bay containing a door is exposed on this façade to the south of the main block, and opens onto an enclosed veranda. The west façade of the c. 1730 addition is five bays wide with an entrance in the center bay covered with a one-bay gabled portico. Three of the four bays (the two to the north of the door and the southernmost) are filled with segmental-arched 9/9 sash windows. A smaller window, high in the wall, fills the other bay. This façade of the roof also has two gabled dormers with 6/6 sash windows. The north gable end of this wing contains narrow 6/6 sash windows on the first floor and narrow 4/4 sash windows on the second flanking the flush chimney. The south gable end contains a single window on each floor. The house retains its original brick vaulting in the cellar, fine interior paneling and moldings, and batten doors with the original hardware.
Holland's Hills was a quarter plantation of Richard Harrison. Most likely he built the phase one structure for his son, Samuel Harrison. In August, 1699, Samuel, age 20, requested permission to marry. Samuel Harrison added the 18 ft. section in 1713, and before his death in 1733, he remodeled and extended the structure in brick. Holly Hill is significant in that it is one of the few extant examples of the Medieval Transitional style of architecture used in Maryland during the mid-17th century. Its development from a primitive frame dwelling to a comfortable, handsome, brick house reflects a pattern repeated in early Tidewater houses.