MHT File Photo
Cummins Memorial Church
1210, Lanvale St., W., Baltimore, Baltimore City
The Emmanuel Christian Community Church, situated on the northwest corner of West Lanvale Street and North Carrollton Avenue, is designed in the Gothic Revival style. The building and foundation walls are laid in granite ashlar. The roof is a high-pitched gable, with the gable end facing Carrollton Avenue. This façade is essentially one bay wide with a one-story, shed-roofed projection containing an entrance punctuated by ten lancet-arched, stained glass windows with nine marble colonnettes equally spaced between them. The entrance portals, both recessed by a concrete stoop, are each punctuated by a flat, plate glass window set into an aluminum panel. The gable end is punctuated by a large, stained glass wheel with wood tracery. Th wheel is housed in a truncated pointed arch and surmounts five flat, stained glass windows set into flat apertures with stone surrounds. Three stained glass lancet windows, the center one taller than the other two, are set into a recessed pointed-arch panel at the top of the gable end. A decorative cross caps the apex. There are two-story, shed-roofed projections on the side elevations of the main body of the church like the entrance arcade. These side aisles are each punctuated by four sets of three flat casement windows. Five stained glass clerestory windows on either side of the church are housed in truncated pointed arches just above the shed roofs. Above these both sides of the slate shingled main roof are punctuated by five dormers capped with miniature four-sided spires. At the far western end of the south façade is a short, two-staged tower with a slate-shingled, hexagonal roof. An entrance with an accented lancet arch is centered in the tower. The west façade is flush with the rectory and is barely visible from any direction. It is constructed of common bond brick and houses a large stained glass, lancet window with wood tracery. The north façade is identical to the south façade with minor alterations. Its windows are arched with header bond brick instead of stone, and the aisle windows are punctuated with stone in place of the marble colonnettes. The aisle windows also are not recessed as those of the south façade. The two-staged tower is replaced with two thin stone spires dividing the length of the façade into thirds.
The Emmanuel Christian Community Church building was erected in 1878 for the Cummins Memorial Reformed Episcopal Church. Cummins Memorial, originally named Church of the Rock of Ages, is significant 1) as Baltimore’s first Reformed Episcopal congregation, 2) as an elegant contribution to the Gothic Revival in mid-19th century American architecture, and 3) as an integral element of one of Baltimore’s finest urban parks, Lafayette Square.