Susan M. Deeney
3844, Chapel Road, Churchville, Harford County
Winsted, also known as the Todd House and the Old Brick House, is built of brick on a low stone foundation. The principal (south) façade is laid in Flemish bond, while the other walls are laid in common bond. Five bays wide by two rooms deep, the building faces south. Window sash have 6/9 lights on the first floor and 6/6 on the second. There are flat brick arches over all window and door openings. The gable roof has slate shingles, and there is a box cornice on the south and north façades. The principal entrance, located in the center bay of the south façade, has a four-light transom and a door of molded panels. A one-bay porch shields this entrance. It has a low-pitched roof with a pediment and ornate cornice and two Ionic column reproductions. The west façade contains the most commonly used entrance. This façade is stuccoed on the first story under the porch, which runs the length of the façade and has a hip roof. The four Ionic columns here are thought to be original. A small one-story rubble stone smokehouse stands on the property, partially stuccoed, with a high ceiling. A solid door and small windows are on its east side. An exterior fireplace of stone in the south wall has a brick flue leading into the second floor of the building. Small vertical vents, two on each side and one in the gable end, let smoke out. In places these vents are finished in brick. The smokehouse has a steeply pitched, slate-covered roof and wide eaves.
Winsted is significant as a fine example of Federal-period architecture as executed in rural Maryland. Its two-story, five-bay form with two deep floor plan flanking a center hall is typical of this type. The woodwork is largely intact, and the two porches with their fine Ionic columns are original. The smokehouse is a solid stone structure with the unusual feature of an exterior fireplace. Christian Hoopman, a brick molder who is said to have built this house and a portion of the one next door, was prominent in his community as a brickmaker and played an active role in his church. It is unusual for it to be known today who the brickmaker was for a structure of this age, and although it is not known absolutely that Hoopman made the bricks for this house, it is a reasonable assumption. Hoopman bought the land from William Hood in 1797. The house was not on the 1798 Federal Tax Assessment, but the house is thought to have been built during the first decade of the 19th century. Christian Hoopman's brother, Peter, was a millwright. In 1803, Christian acquired the remainder of the land needed for a millrace. A mill is known to have existed in 1821 and appears on the survey of the area in that year. By 1878, however, the mill seems to have disappeared. Christian Hoopman also was instrumental in the establishment of the Wesleyan Chapel, donating the land now occupied by the church and cemetery, and purportedly molding the bricks for and building the church itself. When he died in 1837 at the age of 86, he was buried in the cemetery adjoining the church.