Charles G. Hill
Sweetser Road, Linthicum Heights, Anne Arundel County
Turkey Hill was built about 1822 by William Linthicum. Originally it consisted of a 1 1/2-story frame section and a 3-story field stone section linked together by an open porch. As the family increased in size, Linthicum added another story to the frame portion, making it 2 1/2 stories high. At that time, he also added a one-story front porch across the south facade, built of Neo-Classical design with Doric columns, an elaborate cornice with metopes and triglyphs with dentiled cornices above and below, and a balustrade. Eventually the open porch between the frame and stone parts was enclosed. The frame section is five bays wide, with a central entrance flanked by 4-pane sidelights and surmounted by a transom. Windows are mostly 6/6 sash flanked by louvered shutters, with those on the main block being taller on the first floor than on the second. The first floor of the south facade of the stone section has a large tripartite window consisting of a 6/6 sash window flanked by narrow 3/3 sashes. All windows in the stone section are surmounted by brick jack arches. The east end of the stone section is covered by a large early 20th century two-story porch with huge Doric columns and a broken pediment with a large fanlight with tracery in the tympanum. This porch is screened on the first floor and partially enclosed with windows on the second. The second floor also carries a geometric balustrade. Interior chimneys rise from each end of the frame section, and the center of the stone section, and from the rear of a gable-roofed rear wing. All appear to be replacements. Three gable-roofed dormers with 6/6 sash project from either side of the roof of the frame section of the house. On the interior, wooden mantels over the fireplaces in the parlor and master bedroom appear to be original. The stairway in the frame portion with its curved balustrade and landings are still present. A mantel in the living room of white Italian marble replaces the old mantel, which was destroyed by fire. South of the house is a birdhouse built by William Linthicum, modeled after Camden Station in Baltimore City. A late-19th century carriage house, a late-19th century meathouse, and an early-20th century garage also stand on the property.
The house is an example of an early-19th century house that has been lived in constantly by one family. It shows the changes which have occurred over the generations, but still retains much of its original external appearance. The builder and original owner, William Linthicum, was an excellent carpenter who also built the Sweetser Toll Bridge over the Patapsco River (Old Annapolis Road now runs over that site). He was also one of the original members of the Holly Run Church, the first Methodist Protestant Church built in the world. His obituary, in 1866, described him as an upright man who could well have represented his area in Congress. The second owner, Sweetser Linthicum, was a successful farmer. The third owner, Seth Hance Linthicum, was a lawyer and real estate man. He and his three brothers developed the town of Linthicum.