Jennifer K. Cosham
Bennies Hill Road Bridge
Bennies Hill Road, Middletown, Frederick County
The Bennies Hill Road Bridge spans Catoctin Creek southwest of Middletown, on Bennies Hill Road. Built c. 1889 by the King Iron Bridge Manufacturing Company of Cleveland, Ohio, it is an iron bowstring pony truss bridge with a single span of 94' and a total width of 14'-8". The structure is set on two abutments; the one on the west bank is a replaced reinforced concrete pier installed in summer 1977, the other is an original random stone abutment with wing walls. The entire structure, including new steel stringers, new wood planking, and a coat of paint was rehabilitated during the summer of 1977. It is believed that a wood truss bridge originally stood on the present location of the Bennies Hill Road Bridge.
The Bennies Hill Road Bridge is the larger of two bowstring arch truss bridges in Frederick County. Since the destruction of the Keysville Road Bridge, a twin arch column bridge, and relocation of the Detour Bridge, the Bennies Hill Road Bridge is one of only two known bowstring arch bridges in Maryland situated in their original location. As such, the preservation of these bridges is important in documenting the history of bridge engineering design in Frederick County and the state of Maryland.