Michael O. Bourne
5353, Casson Neck Road, James, Dorchester County
Dale's Right is one of the few houses which falls under the strict definition of a telescope house, i.e., each section is narrower and shorter than the previous one. Each of the three sections appear to date from the first third of the 19th century, c. 1830s. From the east end, they are 2, 1 1/2, and 1 stories, respectively, each two bays wide and one room deep with a gable roof. The roof is now all covered with shingle, though the largest section had a tin roof in 1928. All sections are covered with plain weatherboard, though some beaded clapboard exists on the middle section. Each section has a chimney on its west gable end. The two-story and middle section chimneys are interior, while that on the one-story kitchen is exterior. Each block has a door in the east bay and a window in the west on the first floor, on both facades. Sash are almost all original and have louvered shutters thought to date from the 1860s. The first floor windows of the main block have 9/6 sash, while second-floor windows and those in the middle and west wing have 6/6 sash. The two-story portion has two windows on each floor of the east gable end Small four-light windows light the gables on the east and west ends of the main block, and flanking the exterior chimney on the west end of the one-story kitchen wing. There is a gable-roofed 6/6 sash dormer window on each slope of the middle roof. The 6-light dormer on the south slope of the kitchen section roof was added in 1929. A one-story shed-roofed porch with square columns, now screened, covers the south facade of the two shorter sections of the house. The ends of the shed roof are covered with imbricated shingles. On the interior, each of the sections contains a single room with a winding stair in one corner, adjacent to the fireplace. The tall and middle portions have walls of vertical paneling with naive interpretation of Federal mantels and the enclosed stair. Each room has a chair rail and period window trim, though not the same molding. The kitchen has an enclosed stair located in the northwest corner, and a period cabinet in the northeast corner, the latter with batten doors only one board wide. The second floor is composed of three small rooms above the smaller portions and three bedrooms in the two-story section. There is also a stair to the attic which originally had a balustrade. Flooring throughout is original yellow pine. Outbuildings include a privy and a small shed which was built in the 1930s. Other outbuildings were lost in the 1933 hurricane.
Dale's Right is an important structure because of the vast amount of original work remaining and the fact that it is a true telescopic building. Many of this type of dwelling appear to have been built over a period of 50 or more years, but the three sections of Dale's Right seems to have been constructed within a decade.