Michael O. Bourne
Boonsboro Shepardstown Pike (MD 34), Keedysville, Washington County
The Doub Farm house is a two-story, seven-bay structure constructed of bricks set on low fieldstone foundations. The four western bays of the south façade are recessed beneath a double porch which is supported by tapered square posts and is spanned by a plain balustrade. Bricks at the front elevation are laid in stretcher bond while the side and rear walls employ common bonding with generally five rows of stretchers between header courses. Painted on the west gable elevation, approximately 2/3 of the distance between the ground and the roof peak, is the date 1851. Windows have 6/6 sash with wooden lintels. The only full-sized window in the west gable end lights the recessed porch. Most window frames have hinge pins for shutters. Single louvered shutters are still attached to the attic window frames in the west elevation. The main entrance is located in the second bay from the east end of the front elevation. It is framed similarly to the windows. Beveled paneled jambs flank the door which is set under a multi-paned transom. Eight similar beveled panels decorate the surface of the door. Simpler entrances are located in the second and third bays from the west end at the first and second story levels. One door is located in the rear elevation. Corbeled brick chimneys extend from inside each gable end. A third flue is located at the interior of the house just east of its center. The roof is covered with sheet metal and terminates with bargeboards set directly against the end walls. The eaves boxing is finished with courses of simple molding. Also on the property stand a small brick wash house with patternwork brick ventilators, a row of board-and-batten outbuildings, a large stone end bank barn and a frame corn crib and wagon shed. Several hundred feet south of the buildings is a segment of stone fence marking the course of a road which led to a lime kiln. The kiln is still in good condition with its circular lining of header bricks still intact.
This complex of farm buildings and the lime kiln are primarily significant for their architecture. The farm group offers a complete set of mid-19th century domestic structures, including a variety of outbuildings. The house, dated 1851, is representative of an important architectural group in the Cumberland Valley and Western Maryland. Brick dwellings with recessed double porches along part of the front elevation, like this example, generally date from the mid-19th century and are a significant part of the development of the domestic architecture of this region. The stone end bank barn and the outbuildings, particularly the brick structure with the decorative ventilators, also display important regional characteristics. The buildings also reflect aspects of a mid-19th century lifestyle and the utilization of local limestone for its chemical properties as evidenced by the lime kiln for burning limestone.