Garrison Farms Court, Pikesville, Baltimore County
Fort Garrison is a rectangular fieldstone building built c. 1695, approximately 48' long and 18' wide with one large stone fireplace on the east end wall whose chimney is enclosed within that wall. Originally a one-story building with a steep roof, early-19th century alterations raised the height of the fort building adding a second story loft and a wood shingle roof. The first story of the south facade has two entrance doors. Between these doors and to either side are small square openings, presumably "gun windows". The early-19th century enlargement included a small window opening directly over each doorway. The top edges of these windows are flush with the eave. The west gable end of the building contains no openings on the original first floor. However, the second floor holds a large central doorway flanked by two small window openings. Presumably a stair or porch once provided access to this door. The flush chimney rises from the east gable end. The second-story windows on the exterior flare inward for 20", creating larger interior openings. The door sills are raised 37" above the ground. The ceiling height of the one-room fort is 7' 10".
The sole remaining original stone blockhouse in Maryland, Fort Garrison was constructed following a 1693 order from Governor Francis Nicholson and his Council. The outpost was also called Oulton's Garrison for commander Captain John Olton of Oldton. It originally served as a stronghold against Indian attacks during the last decade of the 17th century and again in 1755 it was used during the French and Indian War. Fort Garrison is significant as an example of a Maryland frontier outpost. The property was acquired by the Baltimore County Department of Recreation and Parks when the area was suburbanized in 1965.