Paula Stoner Dickey
Henry McCauley Farm
Mount Aetna Road, Hagerstown, Washington County
The Henry McCauley Farm house is a four-bay, two-story brick dwelling, painted deep red with white and dark green trim. A four bay ell extends to the rear or south of the main section and a small one-story shed-roofed addition is attached to the south gable end. The walls are set on low limestone foundations. The bricks of all elevations are laid in common bond with numerous rows of stretchers between headers. Flat brick arches are present over all windows, including those at attic level. Windows are 6/6 sash, and those of the façade are flanked with paneled shutters at the first story and louvered shutters at the second. Smaller 6/6 pane sashes illuminate the attic. The main entrance is located in the third bay from the east end of the front elevation. The double doors are each decorated with pairs of rounded panels. Flanking the doors are attached columns of the plain Doric order. A transom and sidelights with diamond panes surround the entrance inside paneled jambs and a paneled head. A flat brick arch is present over the doorway. A two-bay entrance porch is supported by heavy Doric columns. An enclosed double porch, included under the main roof span, extends along the east side. Brick chimneys rise from inside each gable end and from the west side of the house between the third and fourth bays from the south end of the ell. The chimneys are large with protruding bricks forming a rim at the top. The roof is covered with sheet metal and is finished with beaded barge boards placed against the end walls. The interior of the front section is divided into four rooms. The northwest room contains only a spiral stair which is open to the attic. The interior woodwork is rather elaborate with doors surrounded by symmetrically placed molded trim with decorated corner blocks. In addition to the house, the property contains a large stone and frame bank barn, with stone end walls and frame side walls. A partially readable date stone set in the barn's north gable is inscribed with the builder's name and date. Only the name McCauley and the year 1833 can be read. Near the house and southeast of the barn is a metal windmill for pumping water.
The Henry McCauley Farm is one of the two historic farm complexes in the Ditto Farm Regional Park. Architecturally, the complex of buildings is a significant example of the construction patterns of Washington County and Western Maryland where stone and brick were important building materials. The brick house on Mt. Aetna Road, probably built between 1830 and 1850, is a well preserved example of the area's brick architecture from the mid-19th century. Its elaborate entrance and spiral stair which are unusual for the area, as well as the extensive use of decorative interior woodwork, suggest that this house is one of the county's finer dwellings of the period. The large stone-end bank barn found at the complex is typical of such structures which appear to be indigenous to Southern Pennsylvania and Western Maryland. The complex also includes a brick out kitchen which appears contemporary with the house. A windmill for pumping water is also significant since such structures are becoming rare in the area.