Ronald L. Andrews
Deer Park Hotel Road, Deer Park, Garrett County
Pennington Cottage is a late-19th century Shingle Style frame structure, 2 1/2 stories high. It has a gambrel roof and a one-story porch that stretches across the principal (south) facade and along portions of the east and west sides. As the name implies, the house is entirely covered with dark wood shingles. The roof has recent asphalt shingles. The principal facade has a large double door entranceway with rectangular sidelights and transom. On the second floor a pair of windows in the western half balance a 2-story bay window to the east. The third story of the front is embellished with a five-part Palladian style window grouping consisting of paired windows flanking a center oval panel and a louvered arch with keystone. The principal windows of the house have double-hung wooden sashes with multiple lights. The front porch has double turned columns and a balustrade with small closely arranged balusters. A two-story, three-bay stairwell projects from the west side. The interior features classically influenced, natural trim characteristic of the style, and a four room plan with a large entrance hall inside the main door. Both the exterior and interior have been sympathetically refurbished. The principal original fixtures of the bathrooms remain.
Pennington Cottage, a late-19th century Shingle Style house, was built as a part of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's Deer Park Hotel complex. The B & O began developing Deer Park as a summer resort in the late 1870s with the construction of a large hotel c. 1879. Later, a series of individual houses or cottages were erected along a semicircular drive on the hotel grounds. Some of the separate cottages were for the exclusive use of a particular family. Pennington Cottage was the summer home of Josias Pennington (d. 1929), a Baltimore architect. Pennington and his partner, Ephram Baldwin, are noted for the restoration and addition to the old State House at Annapolis, Maryland. The firm did extensive work for the B & O Railroad and is thought to have designed most of the buildings at the Deer Park Hotel. Pennington Cottage is the only one of the few remaining hotel cottages to be restored. It contains numerous pieces of original furniture associated with the Pennington family.