Fire Department Photo, W. Groversman
22, Maryland Avenue, Annapolis, Anne Arundel County
The Chase-Lloyd House is a full three-story brick structure over high basement, seven bays wide by four deep, with a broad low hip-on-hip roof and two massive interior chimneys, and covered by a modern slate roof. The high walls, 18 inches thick, are laid in Flemish bond and adorned by belt courses of rubbed brick at the cornice. The axial line of the east (front) elevation is emphasized by the tall, narrow, three-bay wide, projecting central pavilion, with its doorway, arched window on the third floor, and crowning pediment with a small bullseye window. The modillion cornice which surrounds the building is repeated as a raking cornice in the pediment. Windows are 6/6 on the first two floors and 6/3 on the third. Particularly noteworthy is the entrance doorway, a three-part composition rarely used in Georgian houses before the Revolution. The door, topped by a traceried fanlight, is separated from the flanking, wide, rectangular sidelights. The three openings are framed by two engaged Ionic columns and two Ionic pilasters, which support an entablature that becomes an open pediment over the door. On the second story, above the door, is a triple window repeated with an arched center window on the third. Centered on the rear (west) elevation is a very large-scale Palladian window contained in a brick arch with plastered spandrel. This is a very effective feature not only on the exterior, but on the interior as well, where it occurs on the stair landing. Inside, the house has a four-room, center hall plan. Much of the interior work was done by William Buckland--carved cornices, window frames, door casings, chair rails, and molded plaster ceilings.
The Chase-Lloyd House was built in 1769-1774 with interiors by William Buckland, and is one of the earliest extant three-story, brick, Georgian town houses erected in the British colonies. Its every detail evidences an effort to achieve the ultimate in magnificence. The Chase-Lloyd House is not only the finest three-story brick Georgian town house in the Southern colonies, but it ranks with the finest similar structures in the Northern colonies. The Chase-Lloyd house was also the only three-story brick town house known to have been built in Annapolis prior to the Revolution.