MHT File Photo
Snyder-Carroll House; Evergreen on the Falls
3300, Falls Rd., Baltimore, Baltimore City
The Snyder-Carroll House is situated on the crest of a hill overlooking the Jones Falls Valley. The brick mansion is a rural version of the Victorian Italianate style. It is 2 ½-stories high at present, although an early photograph and painting show a large square cupola dominating the roofline at the intersection of the cross gables. This has been removed and capped, and together with the conversion of one window into a door on the north side of the kitchen wing, appears to be the only substantial exterior alteration. The front façade on the north consists of three blocks; the main entrance is located in the slightly off-center front block. The double door is paneled and has a fan-shaped window with narrow round-topped windows flanking it. Above the doorway is a tripartite window, consisting of a narrow round-topped central window flanked by rectangular windows. A bracketed canopy extends over them. The main block, which extends to the rear of the house, is pierced to the left of the entrance by a double window with canopy on the first floor and a single window above. These windows and all others in the house have brick jack arches and stone sills, and louvered wooden shutters. The kitchen wing forms the remaining block. It is to the right of the entrance and has a door and window on the first floor and two windows directly above them on the second floor. There is a series of wooden brackets below the roof cornice on all sides of the house. The west façade is bare except for two attic windows with 4/4 lights. On this side of the house is a sloping terrace with many old boxwoods. On the south façade, the kitchen end corresponds to the northern side of the same wing. There is a large concrete porch extending across the remainder of the façade. The east façade consists of two blocks, the rear being a continuation of the porch and having a large double-hung window with 6/9 lights on the first floor and above it a bedroom window. The northernmost portion of this façade projects slightly and contains a bay window on the first floor above which is a second floor window and another round attic window. A serious fire in the early 1970s destroyed the furnishings and most of the interior. The main staircase has been restored, but that and the carved marble mantels in the parlor, dining room, and living room, and the chandelier in the hall are all that remain of the original details. Across the circular driveway on the north side of the house is the valve house, originally part of the Hampden Reservoir which has been filled in and landscaped as a public park. The valve house is a Classical Revival-style structure, measuring 36’ by 26 ½’. The height is 20’ and the walls are 2’ thick and of granite. All corners, door, and windows, have quoins. There is a door on the south side, two windows on both east and west sides, and a single window on the north. The roof is of asphalt. The house originally contained influent and effluent chambers to direct the flow of water from the reservoir into the City of Baltimore. It was erected in 1860-61 and the date is carved over the doorway.
The Snyder-Carroll House, or Evergreen on the Falls, is an important feature in the history of the mill towns of the Jones Falls Valley, especially Woodberry and Hampden, for it was the home of the supervisor of the Mount Vernon Mills, Albert H. Carroll. This mansion was built about 1860 by a Henry Snyder of Baltimore County, about whom very little is known. It was owned by members of the Carroll family until about 1903, and then left in the care of a custodian until 1926 when it was sold to the Maryland Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Although there have been two costly fires, the Society has maintained the mansion in excellent condition, rebuilding and refurnishing it after each episode. The interior is not original, but efforts have been made to preserve the atmosphere of a gracious and comfortable country seat.