Husband Flint Mill Site
Forge Hill Road, , Dublin, , Harford County
Built in the 1800s by Joshua Husband, the Husband Flint Mill passed through several hands before it was acquired by George J. Kroeger in 1909. As rebuilt by him, the mill was one of the best-equipped flint mills in the state. The mill ground vein quartz into different sizes used in the manufacture of porcelain dishes or pottery. The quarries of the Husband Flint Milling Company were situated on the hill above the site, which reduced considerably the transportation cost of raw material. One quarry opening runs into the hillside about 500 feet and is 40 feet deep at the face. The other pit, located northeast of the first, is 200 feet in length. The quartz used in the manufacturing process is the usual whitish vitreous type. Quarrying of the flint required the services of 25 men and as many as 20 mules to carry the rock to the mill where it was reduced by heavy hammers to a size suitable for grinding. The reduced flint was brought up the loading ramp and dumped into one of the two wood-fired kilns. These kilns are in an excellent state of preservation although a young forest growth threatens to weaken the structure. A quarry pit located at the site of the mill provided the building material for the double kiln, the ramp support walls, the chaser foundation, the mill race, and the office building. Poured cement replaced stone as the building material when the mill was improved by Kroeger around 1909. After burning, the flint was crushed dry in a chaser. The chaser is directly in front of the kiln with the grinding stone still in situ. Several other grinding stones have been recently removed from the site although one stone still survives on the banks of Deer Creek. The grinding pan foundations including the wooden support beams are still intact. Undersize material was wheeled by hand to the grinding pans. Three different sizes were filtered out and removed daily from the tanks. A fourth tank, cleaned out annually, yielded a small quantity of super fine product. Wooden and cement foundations of the grinding pans and settling tanks remain although the wood is in a severe state of decay.
The Husband Flint Mill site is the best-preserved example of the extinct flint industry in Maryland. Before dismantlement in the 1920s, the mill was one of the best-equipped mills in the state of Maryland. The wood, cement, and stone foundations supporting the equipment, bins, and tanks have survived in fair condition. The office and kilns are in a good state of preservation. The quarry pits in close proximity to the site provide a unique opportunity to view the entire flint milling process from the extraction of the raw material to the shipment of the finished product.