MHT File Photo
Marsh Pike, Hagerstown, Washington County
Brightwood is an unusually large log and stone building with elaborately carved Adamesque embellishments. The principal façade of the log main block faces south and is 2 1/2 stories in height, with a large two-story galleried portico that is centrally positioned on the front façade. It covers a main entrance door decorated with fluted pilasters, an entablature with rope swags and reeded sunbursts on the frieze, and a dentiled cornice. This entrance door, as well as a simplified version of it directly above, has flanking 9/6 sidelights that are positioned flush to the sides of the pilasters. Flanking the entrance portico at each floor level are four 12/8 sash windows. In a line with the principal windows of the facade are four pedimented dormer windows. The elaborate carvings of the eave cornice of the façade is carried over onto the cornice and pediment of the portico. The pediments of the dormers are similarly treated, though on a scale appropriate to their size. Within the pediment of the portico is a traceried half-round window. At each end of the roof ridge is a single chimney stack. A one-room two-story tower is centrally positioned on the rear (north) façade. This small wing contains the main stair of the house and is a characteristic of a much earlier architectural style. From the east side of the stair tower, extending to the northeast corner of this elevation, stands a one-story stone wing that is believed to predate the main part of the house. One third of the roof of this wing, that towards the main house, was raised in the early 20th century to provide for a full second story bedroom. The remainder of the roof remains basically unaltered except for what is believed to be a later chimney which interrupts the roof ridge about 12 feet from the north end. The wing is built of rough, uncoursed fieldstone and the five-bay east façade is covered by a later shed-roofed porch. Also located on the property are a stone springhouse and a stone smokehouse. A fourth building, a log "quarter", has been demolished.
Brightwood is situated on a tract of land that was once a part of Long Meadow Enlarged, acquired by a Colonel Henry Bocqueath in 1763. At that time the property was made up of several smaller tracts that were formerly owned, from 1738 to 1746, by Thomas Cresap, and from 1746 to 1763, by Daniel Dulany. In 1781, the property was acquired by Thomas B. Hart. One of his daughters, Lucretia, later became the wife of Henry Clay. From 1802 to 1829, the property was owned by Otho Holland Williams, to whom the building of the principal part of Brightwood has been tentatively attributed. Throughout the 19th century, Brightwood was apparently well known throughout Washington County as a scene of gracious hospitality and entertainment. It is significant for its architecture, and for its association with the settlement of Washington County in the 18th century.