Paul Baker Touart
Hood Road, Manokin, Somerset County
The initial stage of Sudler's Conclusion now constitutes the east wing of this two-part house. The early-18th century Flemish bond brick portion is 1 1/2 stories with a single flush chimney on the east gable end, and displays a regular use of glazed headers throughout. The original principal facade at the north elevation is three bays in length, originally with a central door flanked by a single 9/6 sash window at each side. This entrance is now bricked in. The former rear (south) facade was two bays in length with a centered door flanked by a single 12/12 sash window at its east side. This door was filled in c. 1800 and a 12/12 sash window installed flush to the west side of the former opening. At both front and rear roof slopes are two pedimented 9/6 sash dormer windows, also installed c. 1800. At the east end elevation of this block is a door positioned near the southeast corner. Near the northeast corner of this same elevation is a small window which has been bricked in. All original ground floor door and window openings are headed by segmental arches of header brick. At the east end elevation, at a line even with the front and rear eave cornices, is an indented two brick belt course with the bricks of both courses set on the diagonal. A frame two-story west wing was probably erected c. 1840. Facing south, this portion is two bays in length at both the front and rear elevations, with the transomed entrance door positioned towards the east end of both facades. First floor windows are 9/6 sash and second floor windows are 6/6 sash. A single chimney is flush with the west end wall, with its exterior face exposed in a firewall at the first floor level. The south wall of this wing is flush to the south wall of the early portion of the house, and extends back about 3/4 the depth of the west end elevation. A two-story shed-roofed outshut covers the exposed west gable end of the brick portion. On the interior, the 18th century portion has a hall and parlor plan, with the hall being a rather narrow room extending the length of the north side. It has a tall but narrow fireplace opening at the east end, close to the partition wall. The larger parlor has a more expansive fireplace opening, also in the east wall. On each interior side wall is a small bake oven. A former enclosed stair is now a closet. While all interior wall surfaces are plastered, there is evidence that the fireplace wall had been originally paneled. The exposed ceiling joists of both rooms have a very wide bead on their lower edges. Roof collars in the attic display the same beaded edge. Outbuildings include a c. 1800 log smokehouse and frame tobacco barn. A small private cemetery stands to the northwest of the house, with most of the graves dating from the first half of the 19th century.
Sudler's Conclusion represents one of Maryland's few remaining early-18th century dwellings. Its significance lies in its architecture. The diagonally set beltcourse on the east end is one of three found in Somerset County houses of the period. Other significant elements are the decorative interior details and the laterally partitioned floor plan. The house is so little altered that it is possible to reconstruct the original floor plan.