Spielman Road (MD 63), Williamsport, Washington County
Rose Hill is a six-bay, two-story Flemish bond brick house with a hip roof and a "widow's walk." A pedimented pavilion that extends outward from the wall plane comprises the two central bays. A small elliptical window sits in the pediment. The windows have 6/6 sashes and flat stone arches with keystones. The basement windows have flat brick arches. There is a 20th century wooden beltcourse and a simple cornice. The main entrance, centered in the pavilion, is flanked by three-pane sidelights and surmounted by a Federal-style semicircular fanlight with lead tracery, surrounded by a brick arch. A four-bay, two-story wing of a smaller scale extends out from one side of the house. On the interior, Rose Hill is noted for its large center hall and the attached hanging staircase. The interior details, e.g., the entablatures over the first floor doors, reflect the taste of the Adamesque Federal period. Other houses in Maryland with similar façades are located in southern and central Maryland. Rose Hill is the outpost of this type of architecture in Western Maryland.
Rose Hill, near Williamsport, Maryland, is one of the finest Federal period houses in the western part of the state. In addition, it ranks with the best Federal buildings in central and southern Maryland. Buildings of contemporary period and with a similar degree of architectural refinement are virtually non-existent in Washington, Allegany, and Garrett Counties. The mystery surrounding the unusual architectural character of Rose Hill is confounded by an inability to assign a definite date or builder to the house. A substantial house appears to have been built on the property by the date of an 1808 map.