Kenneth M. Short
Philip and Uriah Arter Farm
10, Deep Run Road West, Westminster, Carroll County
The Philip & Uriah Arter Farm is located northeast of Union Mills, and includes a c. 1844 frame house, a c. 1888 frame bank barn, and a deteriorated early-20th century frame outbuilding. The house faces east, and is banked into a steep hill on the north. The entire farm consists of steep hilly ground with a ridge that runs east-west, and the ground slopes sharply down to the south and east, following a small stream down to Deep Run. On the south side of the house the ground appears to have several artificial terraces. The house is a two-story, three-bay by two-bay frame structure with a rubble stone foundation, weatherboard siding, and a gable roof with a north-south ridge and inverted V-seam metal roofing. The weatherboards are 6" wide at the bottom and between 4 3/4 and 5" wide in the middle of the house. On the west side is a two-by-one-bay one-story rear wing. On the east elevation, the principal entrance is in the north bay, composed of a paneled door surmounted by a one-light transom and surrounded by a paneled soffit and jambs. The door has a symmetrical architrave with bulls-eye corner blocks, and is flanked by 4/4 sash windows, one of which has had its lower sash replaced with a single pane. The central bay also has a multi-paneled door with a porcelain knob. The south bay holds a 6/6 sash window. These three bays are sheltered by a one-story shed-roofed porch with a standing-seam metal roof. It is supported by five posts that have all been rebuilt, as have been the railings between them. The south bay of the porch is enclosed with horizontal boards and two-light aluminum sash. The porch has a wood box cornice with returns. The porch deck is in two levels, with the southern 2/3 of the deck set slightly higher. The second story holds three 1/1 sash windows. There is an interior brick chimney on the south gable end and an exterior concrete block chimney on the north gable end. The north elevation of the main block has two 1/1 sash windows on either story. The attic gable holds two small boarded-up windows. The north elevation of the rear wing is covered by an enclosed porch. The west elevation of the wing has a door in the porch that matches the north door in the font porch. There is also a boarded-up window opening near the south corner of the wing. The attic gable of the wing has two boarded-up window openings. The south elevation of the wing has a vertical-board door in the west bay of the foundation with a 3-light window cut into its top. Above this doorway remains some of the framing for a pent roof. There are two 1/1 sash windows with wrought iron shutter dogs and shutter hinges, with a large 12-light picture window inserted between these two original windows. The south gable end of the main block holds two 1/1 sash windows in the first and second floors and two boarded-up windows in the attic gable. There is a four-light window in the south end of the porch. The cellar of the main block is whitewashed stone walls and a dirt floor. A vertical-board wall on the west side divides it from the cellar of the rear wing, which has a wooden floor with 7 1/4" wide boards that run north-south and are set on sleepers. The first story has a side-passage, double-pile plan with one room in the rear wing. The passage has been converted to a modern kitchen. The c. 1888 bank barn, located 100 feet east of the house, has a south-facing forebay.
The Philip and Uriah Arter Farm is significant for its architecture as an example of a type of vernacular domestic architecture that typified rural Carroll County in the first half of the 19th century. The house is an exceptionally well preserved example of a type of vernacular domestic architecture that typified rural Carroll County in the first half of the 19th century. The house is an exceptionally well preserved example of a middling farmer's dwelling house from c. 1844-52, and its finishes are typical of the best larger farmhouses of the period. It reflects the process of acculturation that occurred throughout the region in the 19th century, as markers of ethnic identity increasingly gave way to an emerging mainstream: the floor plan marks a transition from the traditional Germanic continental house type to the side-passage plan associated with the dominant Anglo-American culture. The house also provides an interesting comparison to the dwellings of the builder's father and grandfather, both of which are already listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The barn, from a later generation, is also a well preserved and significant example of its type. The period of significance, c. 1844-1939, encompasses the presumed construction dates of the surviving buildings, and represents the period during which the property substantially achieved its existing configuration.