MHT File Photo
Clarysville Inn, site
Old National Pike (Alt. 40), Clarysville, Allegany County
The Clarysville Inn stood along the old section of the National Road, U.S. Route 40, to the south of the present road at Clarysville. Most likely constructed in the mid 19th century, the 2 1/2-story brick structure had flush double chimneys at the gable ends and a large two-story wing to the south. The north facade was symmetrical, with a central entrance on both floors and 6/6 sash windows. A large cornice which read "CLARYSVILLE INN" in the early 20th century spanned the roof edge. The north side of the roof was pierced by three 6/6 sash dormer windows. The central dormer was barrel-roofed, with a semicircular front. The dormer to either side was gable roofed, with a pedimented front. The first floor of the north facade was covered in the early 20th century by a flat-roofed porch supported by Tuscan columns. The first floor of this porch had a balustrade, and the second floor railing was of stickwork in the form of Xs. Some time after 1936 this porch was replaced by a semicircular Tuscan-columned porch which covered the central three bays, and also had a second floor balustrade. The east and west gable ends of the structure were four bays wide on the main block, and the rear wing extended the west facade by a further three bays. Between the flush chimneys on either gable end was a semicircular fanlight in the attic gable. The supposed date of construction, "1807," was painted beneath this fanlight on the east gable end. The interior had a center hall with a four-over-four arrangement of rooms. The building was destroyed by fire on March 10, 1999.
Constructed in the mid-1800s, the Clarysville Inn was used as a restaurant until 1999. Supposed to have been built c. 1807, the building exhibits architectural features of the 1840s-50s period in Allegany County, and is similar to the 1842 Casselman Hotel in Grantsville, Garrett County. The inn was used as a hospital during the Civil War. M. M. Townsend, a doctor from Eckhart, was its director. There were once dozens of inns and taverns along the National Road and the Baltimore Pike. Today, with the greatly lessened travel along these roads, few of these remain. The Clarysville Inn was one of eleven Maryland Inns on the National Road listed on the National Register. These eleven buildings in Allegany and Garrett Counties, many of them still serving their original function, stand as the physical remains of the almost legendary hospitality offered on this well-traveled route to the west.