MHT File Photo
St. Paul's Chapel
Crownsville Road &GeneralsHighway(MD178), Crownsville, Anne Arundel County
This small board-and-batten frame church is composed of a simple rectangular nave, a small west entrance porch, a small deep chancel on the east end, and two very small utility sections added to the sides of the chancel on the east end of the nave. There is one diamond-shaped window above the pointed-arched entrance porch, and there is a simple belfry above the porch which is surmounted by a cross. There are three lancet windows on each side of the nave; the diamond-shaped pane in each contains stained glass of geometric patterns. There is a triple lancet with stained glass on the chancel (east) wall, in memory of Reverend B.T.H. Maycock. There is one pointed-arched side door on the north side at the rear (east) end of the church. The interior is plain and there are simple white, slip pews. The ceiling at the rear (west) of the church is lower and is supported by two square columns which screen off a narthex. There is a simple marble font. There is a small cemetery to the east of the church dating from the 1860s.
St. Paul's Chapel may be an example of a church built, not by an architect, but rather by following plans of Richard Upjohn, the noted 19th century American architect. The history of St. Paul's Chapel begins in the years immediately before the Civil War. When the Reverend Henry R. Payne was rector for Severn Parish (1858 to 1861) he began holding regular Protestant Episcopal services at Severn, or Old Cross Roads, without a church building. His enthusiasm for this missionary work infected his parishioners who raised $700 toward the construction of what became St. Paul's Chapel. On May 10, 1865, the Right Reverend Horatio Southgate, Bishop of Maryland, consecrated the chapel. After the installation of the Reverend B.H.T. Maycock, as rector of Severn Parish from 1884 to 1889, the chancel of the chapel was expanded and enlarged.