All Saints' Church
Southern Maryland Boulevard (MD 4) & Solomons Island Road (MD 2), Sunderland, Calvert County
This Georgian structure is of Flemish bond brick with random glazed headers. It is three bays wide and four deep, with a gently sloping gable roof. All the walls are composed of a series of round-headed brick arches recessed to the ground level. In these panels are set the windows and doors on two stories. The windows are all 6/6 with segmental arches and old shutters. The watertable is composed of a flat projecting brick, topped by a cyma reversa mold, topped by a cyma recta. The interior walls of the church are a series of square piers and recessed two-story round-headed arches into which the windows are set. The north and south walls have galleries, each supported on five square piers. The east and the west walls have round windows on the second story level. The box pews have simple paneling. The church presents a well-restored, pleasing appearance.
The history of the present All Saints' Church building is unusual because it is so well documented. Due to All Saints' being a "state church," the published volumes of the Archives of Maryland contain pertinent documented source material on the building. Special reference is given to the establishment of All Saints' Parish in 1692 and to the erection of the present church building between 1774 and 1777. The original vestry books refer to additions made in 1703 to the first church structure (1695), which is no longer extant. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) compiled the Inventory of the Church Archives of Maryland, which dates the construction of the extant building between 1774 and 1777. It also names Cleland and Heathman as the builders. This building was built with county taxes while Thomas Claggett (1743-1816) was the Rector. He later became the first Bishop of the Protestant Episcopal faith to be consecrated in America.