Eastern High School
101, 33rd St., E., Baltimore, Baltimore City
Built in 1938, the general shape of Eastern High School is an H, with a main lateral section and four projecting wings. The building is three stories in height with a fully excavated ground floor. The school has a steel and concrete frame with red brick cladding set in English bond with limestone trim. The building is presented in the Tudor Revival style, as characterized by the extensive use of brick punctuated by patterned brick panels and diapering; a stylized castellated parapet with a limestone cap; banked groups of windows with cast stone mullions, a limestone casing and irregularly spaced limestone tabs. Limestone is also employed as a beltcourse between the ground story and first story and above the second story near the parapet. Pointed arches are featured at many of the windows and doorways. Some of the doorways have been infilled with concrete block. Presently, two entrances service the building: one facing 33rd Street at the middle of the lateral block; another facing Loch Raven Road incorporating the vehicular access via a circular drive. According to the original drawings the 33rd Street elevation was intended as the primary entrance to the building.
The evolution of Eastern High School presents an important example of the development of female education in the Baltimore public school system culminating with the construction of the impressive Eastern High School on 33rd Street and Loch Raven Road. The curriculum offered by Eastern teachers was continually revised and adjusted to ensure that the female students were presented a comparable education with the male students throughout Baltimore. From the opening of its doors in 1844, Eastern lead the way in female education revolutionizing teaching, curriculum, and school design. Eastern graduates advanced to improve the professional, business, cultural, and social life of the city. When the new Eastern High School building opened in 1938, it represented the latest in educational design and illustrated advanced technological devices and treatments. The use of acoustics for Eastern High School was far more advanced than in any other building erected for the Department of Education. The auditorium, gymnasium, cafeteria, corridors, typewriting rooms, and music rooms all had acoustic treatments. Additionally, the building was wired for central communications, allowing a radio broadcast to be wired through the entire building. The school building was used continuously until 1986 when the students were incorporated into another public school in Baltimore. Consequently, Eastern High School remains an important innovator and contributor to the history and progress of Baltimore’s public educational system. Architecturally, the building represents advanced educational design and planning featuring progressive technological features, by two of Baltimore’s leading early 20th century architects. The building’s successful construction was a tribute to Roosevelt’s New Deal ideals and the realization of the Public Works Administration’s goals during the Great Depression.