William D. Morgan
Generals Highway (MD 178), Iglehart, Anne Arundel County
Iglehart is a 2 1/2 story Greek Revival-style frame house with front and rear galleries recessed beneath the gable roof. The principal entrance is in the center bay of the five-bay front (east) facade, with a wide transom surmounting the door and flanking sidelights. A similar door directly above this entrance provides access to the second floor of the gallery. Windows are 6/6 sash with louvered shutters. The front gallery is supported by large square columns, and the second floor has a balustrade. A single exterior chimney stands in the center of the south gable end, while the north gable end, which originally had two exterior chimneys, retains only one in the west bay. A single brick pent stands adjacent to this chimney. Two 6/6 windows pierce each gable end at attic level. On the north gable end, there is a window on the second floor above the pent, and another on the first story. The west facade is five bays wide with irregular fenestration, and a two-story recessed porch in the south two bays on the first story and only the southernmost bay, with a balustrade, on the second. On the interior, the central hall contains a stairway (c. 1870) which rises to the attic level. A marble mantel is situated in the south parlor; however, all other mantels are of wood and simply designed.
Iglehart is significant principally for its architecture. Although it is believed that the house was built by Julianna and Leonard Iglehart shortly after their marriage in 1811, the interior detail, overall plan, and construction techniques and materials employed indicate a more probable construction date of c. 1830. Leonard Iglehart served as a commissioner for the primary schools in Anne Arundel County from 1834 until 1838. He was also one of the six original commissioners of the Annapolis and Elk Ridge Railroad incorporated by an act of the Maryland General Assembly in December of 1836.