Public School No. 109
Broadway, N. & Ashland Ave., Baltimore, Baltimore City
The Broadway School, #109, was a stylistically neutral utilitarian brick structure which stood in the neighborhood of the Johns Hopkins Hospital. This 2-story red brick building featured a central tower capped by a pediment, two large chimneys with arched openings, and an entrance appendage on the south façade housing a stairwell. The school fronted on Broadway, which had a landscaped median strip with trees, sloping lawn, and space for sitting and walking. The building was surrounded by late 19th century brick rowhouses. The Broadway School was demolished in late 2003/early 2004 in order to make room for the Kennedy Krieger Institute’s new “Community Behavioral Health Center.”
The Broadway School was constructed in 1876. The building was significant as an "open plan" school with classes separated by glass partitions. This plan was developed in 1868 after a reformist movement sought to develop prototypical standards for school buildings. The "open plan" design was developed by J.J. Husband and was first used in School No. 126 in Sharp-Leadenhall. This plan allowed the principal to have a commanding view of all the classrooms. It also provided the flexibility to create larger classrooms by opening up glass partitions. The school operated for nearly 100 years.