Jeff Jerome, CHAP
Public School No. 37
1125, Patterson Park Ave., N., Baltimore, Baltimore City
The Patrick Henry School, #37, is an elaborately detailed 2 ½-story Georgian Revival structure. It features an entrance portico, with six freestanding columns, rustication at the base, lintels, and quoins, and a large slate-shingled hip roof. The structure stands out among the surrounding two-story rowhouses which face the school on three sides. The building stands on a large corner lot in the Berea community.
The Patrick Henry School is an elaborately detailed Georgian Revival structure, one of the most impressive medium-scaled projects to have come from the desks of Elliott and Emmart. The exceptional features of this school include the entrance portico, rustication, and hipped roof. It is rare among public school buildings of any period for its elegant proportions and appointments. This building is representative of an era of school reform which stressed high quality buildings designed by the best architects and carried out with the approval of the Municipal Art Commission. Originally called Primary School #37, the school was built in 1896 for $25,000. It boasted twelve classrooms, suitable cloak rooms, and the Smead system, furnishing closet accommodations, heating, and ventilation. The school was named in honor of Patrick Henry, the famed Revolutionary War era patriot.