Paula S. Reed
15435, Dellinger Road, Williamsport, Washington County
Cedar Grove is a two-story, four-bay brick-cased log dwelling facing east on the south side of Dellinger Road. The house has a central chimney, which at the first story is built of stone, but which changes to brick above the roofline. Leanto additions have been attached to the rear (north) elevation of the building which causes the west slope of the gable roof to be longer and shallower. Another leanto addition, one story high and wood sided, is attached to the north elevation. The openings in the front elevation are grouped with three bays to the south of the central chimney. This section at the first and second stories forms two of the four separate components of the house. Windows are 6/2 sash, installed in 1928, replacing earlier 9/6 windows. Entrances are located in the second bay from the south end of the front, and in the fourth bay, and in the two gable end walls. The entrance in the second bay from the south end has a door with six raised panels with molded trim. The jambs for this door have decorative molded recessed panels, four down each side and two at the top. Other exterior doors date from the earlier 20th century, and include transoms. Bricks casing the house are arranged in all stretcher bond. All entrances are sheltered by porches. The two front elevation entrances have a three-bay one-story hip roofed porch, supported by large square posts. The north end entrance porch is Colonial Revival in style, gable fronted with pronounced returns and an arched top, also with large square columns. A shed-roofed porch protects the south gable entrance which opens into the kitchen. All of these porches date from the 1928 work on the house. A photograph depicting the 1928 work in progress shows the original structure minus its early siding, and reveals the sequence of construction of four separate sections of the building. The first period included a one-story and partial second-story log house, comprising the south half of the current main block. The second period was a three-sided log addition raised to a story and just under a half to match the height of the south portion. The third building phase involved raising the original south log house to a full two stories, and the fourth phase was the raising of the north addition to match the roofline of the raised south section.
Cedar Grove is significant for its association with the early settlement of the Maryland frontier. The colonial period round-log house is likely one of the early tenement houses on Lord Baltimore's Conococheague Manor. It thus represents settlement period housing in Washington County and the period of initial effective settlement which began at the close of the French and Indian War. It also portrays the early history of the proprietorship of Maryland when the Calvert family held vast manors throughout the colony for the purpose of generating revenue against tenant farming. Cedar Grove derives additional significance for its architecture, illustrating an accretive process of development over several periods. The initial c. 1760 round-log section of the house is an exceptionally early example of vernacular architecture in Washington County; surviving 18th century houses are rare in the county, and any dating from prior to the Revolution are exceptional. The Federal period addition to the house exhibits a relatively high degree of architectural refinement for the Cumberland Valley region.