Kenneth M. Short
Jacob F. Shaffer Farm
4758, Schalk Road No. 1, Millers, Carroll County
The Jacob F. Shaffer Farm consists of a brick house built in 1854, a stone barn, a frame summer kitchen, and a frame corn crib. The house is a two-story, three-bay wide, banked brick structure with Flemish bond on the east-facing front. The house has a double-pile side-passage plan with a rear kitchen ell. The north elevation is a datestone with a carved shell above and "J.[A>].S. A.D. 1854" below. The south elevation datestone has a six-petal rosette flanked by two small six-point stars, all above "J.F.S. A.D. 185[4?]". There is a brick dentil cornice on the east and west elevations of the main block. The northeast room has a central brick fireplace with semicircular arch on the north wall. West of the fireplace is a built-in cupboard with a six-light door over a flat panel door. South of the house is a two-story frame summer kitchen, with a rubble stone foundation, German siding, and a gable roof of corrugated metal. It is two bays by two bays, with the gable end facing east. Southwest of this structure is a corn crib and wagon shed built of hand hewn, mortised and tenoned timbers set on stone and brick piers. The corn cribs are on the north and south sides, and are covered by horizontal slats. The east and west gable ends are open below. The bank barn is south of the corn crib, with the forebay facing east. It is built of rubble fieldstone with quoins on the west elevation and of partially dressed, coursed stone on the north elevation and the lower story of the east elevation. The south wall has collapsed. The west elevation has projecting stone granaries on both ends. The upper story has two threshing floors with hay mows at both ends and in the center. The interior walls of the granaries have brick nogging between the timber, with a covering of plaster on the interior.
The Jacob F. Shaffer Farm is significant for its association with the development of agriculture in Carroll County. It illustrates an economic adaptation typical of the region in the mid-19th century, in which skilled tradesmen like Shaffer, a trained stonemason, established farms as an adjunct to their principal livelihoods. The resource derives additional significance as a representative example of a Carroll County farmstead of the period, which features a rare stone bank barn and an exceptionally well-constructed and detailed brick house, both presumably built by Shaffer himself.