18651, Keedysville Road, Keedysville, Washington County
The Hoffman Farm is located on the south side of Keedysville Road. The farmstead consists of an 1840s two-story brick dwelling, adjacent brick slave quarters, a c. 1810 stone house built over a spring, a frame wagon shed, a log hog barn, and a frame forebay bank barn. The main house is a two-story, seven-bay brick building on limestone foundations. The façade is divided into a formal section and a kitchen wing by two-story recessed work porches. The formal section has five bays with a central entrance protected by a Greek Revival style one-bay hipped roof porch supported by square columns. Bricks of the façade are laid in common bond, with flat arches over the windows. Windows which had been replaced with 1/1 sash were being restored to 6/6 at the time of nomination. The front entrance has its original 8-panel door beneath a three-light transom. The area of the façade devoted to kitchen and work functions is protected by a two-story porch enclosed with a railing and supported by tapered square posts typical of the Greek Revival period. Within the porch is a 6/6 light window in the south wall. Windows and doors of the front and south gable walls of this section are topped with wide wooden lintels. At the rear of the house, windows and doors are placed irregularly. The roof covering is standing seam sheet metal and there are three large corbeled brick chimneys, one at each end of the building and one at the south end of the main section of the house. Just behind and to the south of the main house stands a brick slave quarters, one story high and three bays wide. The three bays are all entrances. A shed-roofed porch with square posts extends across the front. The easternmost door has a three-light transom. All doors are board and batten. The north gable wall has 6/3 sash windows. The west gable wall has a single 6-light window, and there is evidence of possible windows, later bricked shut, in the east gable wall. The c. 1810 stone house built over the spring has unusually fine Federal period detailing for such a small building. The south (front) elevation has a 2-story porch included under the main roof span, but may be a replacement. A brick chimney is located inside the east gable end.
The Hoffman Farm is significant for its association with the history of agriculture in the productive limestone region of Washington County, and for its association with the Battle of Antietam. It was used as a hospital from the day of the battle on September 17, 1862 through the following month. Over 800 men were hospitalized in the barn, house, outbuildings, and grounds. The farm is also significant for its remarkable architectural collection depicting vernacular interpretations such as building over springs and using a frontal recessed double porch. The slave quarters are among fewer than six recorded examples in Washington County and certainly the best preserved. The Hoffman Farm has been in the possession of a single family throughout nearly its entire history.