Paul Baker Touart
Market Street (MD 675), Pocomoke City, Worcester County
The Young-Sartorius house is a 2 1/2-story, center passage/single pile frame dwelling built in two campaigns between c. 1860 and c. 1900. The building is supported on a raised brick foundation, and the exterior is clad with a combination of plain weatherboards and fishscale shingles. Attached to the back of the main block is a two-story, two-room plan dining room/kitchen wing, which incorporates a c. 1860 structure that was repositioned and reworked around 1890-1900 in the course of a substantial rebuilding of the dwelling. The southwest facade is dominated by a pair of 2 1/2-story, three-sided bay pavilions that flank a center double-door entrance. The partially glazed double front doors are sheltered by a hip roofed front porch supported on Tuscan columns. The three-sided bay pavilions are pierced on each face by large windows with Queen Anne-style sash, featuring multi-pane colored glass in the upper sash above a lower sash with a single pane of clear glass. The window openings are fitted with louvered shutters. The second floor is lighted by a series of identical windows. The three-sided bays are topped by steeply pitched cross gables with modest decorative trim attached to the corner roof soffits. The face of each gable front is sheathed with fishscale shingles and pierced by a multi-pane colored glass window fitted with louvered shutters. The extended eave of each roof is trimmed with exposed and decorated rafter ends, and a scroll-sawn element at the peak. Between the two cross gables is a large gable-rooofed dormer pierced by a pair of colored glass windows. The peak of the dormer is trimmed with a scroll-sawn decoration. Rising through the center of the house are two brick chimney stacks, one of which has been rebuilt. The original north stack has a decorative corbeled cap. The north and south gable ends are alike with single colored glass windows on each floor with fishscale shingles covering the gable end. Each of the windows is fitted with louvered shutters and the peak is trimmed with decorative sawnwork. The northeast (rear) elevation of the main block is partially covered by the two-story dining room and kitchen wing. The north side of the service wing is marked by four unevenly spaced 6/6 sash windows on the first and second floors, and each window is hung with louvered shutters. Rising through the center of the service wing is a double-flue brick chimney stack. The steeply pitched roof has extended eaves with exposed rafter feet. Access to a small cellar under the dining room is provided by way of an enclosed exterior ladder stair sheltered by weatherboarded walls and a slightly arched metal roof. Much of the interior woodwork is treated with decorative oak graining. Bull's-eye block surrounds frame the window and door openings, and an open turned baluster stair rises in the center of the house.
The Young-Sartorius House is significant as an example of the interplay between conservative vernacular traditions and emerging popular styles which characterized much of the late-19th century domestic architecture of Worcester County, Maryland. Outwardly the 2 1/2-story house reflects a vernacular interpretation of the late-19th century Queen Anne style. The irregular massing typical of the style is provided by the matching gabled bay pavilions which flank the central entrance. Windows with multiple colored lights in the upper sash, and the variety of siding materials also reflect popular Queen Anne influence. In other respects, the house exemplifies long-standing traditions in the vernacular domestic architecture of Worcester County. The symmetrical center passage, single-pile plan is a conservative element, which had characterized vernacular buildings in the region for over a century at the time the Young-Sartorius house was constructed. The single-pile main block fronts a two-story, two-room plan service wing that incorporates a mid-19th century structure that was repositioned and reworked when the c. 1890-1900 front addition was built, and many early architectural features such as doors were reused in the new house. This pattern of incorporating portions of previous structures in new construction also typified the building practice in the region, and the Young-Sartorius house presents an exceptionally vivid example of the practice. The house retains a high degree of integrity, with its late nineteenth century interior especially well preserved. The period of significance, c. 1860-c. 1900, corresponds to the period during which the house substantially achieved its present form and appearance.