Michael O. Bourne
909, Market Street, Pocomoke City, Worcester County
The Crockett House is a two-story, five-bay, center passage plan frame dwelling, constructed c. 1850. The building rests on a low brick foundation, and is sheathed in wood weatherboards and covered by a medium-pitched gable roof clad in asphalt shingles. The decorative detailing of the exterior and interior reflect the influence of the Greek Revival style. The west (main) facade is a symmetrical five-bay elevation with a center entrance and flanking 6/6 sash windows. The eight-panel front door is framed by fluted surrounds and pyramidal shaped corner blocks. Three-light sidelights are located to each side and a three-light transom tops the entrance. Sheltering the front door is a single-bay gable-roofed porch with square posts and built-in seats. The windows to each side are trimmed with plain surrounds and fitted with louvered shutters. Five windows light the second floor. The center 6/6 sash is flanked by 2/2 sidelights as well in corner block surrounds. The other 6/6 sash windows are framed by plain surrounds with louvered shutters. Finishing the base of the roof is a boxed cornice with period bed and crown moldings. The north and south gable ends are largely alike with pairs of 6/6 sash windows lighting the first and second floors to each side of brick interior end chimneys with distinctive corbeled caps. Beaded-edge bargeboards trim the gable ends. A service wing extending from the rear of the house exhibits the stepped, "telescope" form, typical of the region in the period. The wing is sheathed in weatherboards and illuminated by 6/6 sash windows. A brick chimney with a corbeled cap rises through the gable end of the two-story section. A single-story, one-room plan kitchen extends from the east gable of the two-story portion, with a brick interior end chimney flanked by small 2/2 sash windows. The eaves are finished with a molded bargeboard. The building retains an exceptionally high level of integrity. Also on the property is a two-story frame garage dating from the early 20th century.
The c. 1850 Crockett House is significant as an exceptionally well-preserved example of a vernacular house form characteristic of the mid-19th century period in the Eastern Shore region. The two-story, five-bay, single-pile frame building with a stepped "telescope" service wing represents a traditional vernacular house form typical of the period in the region; it is outstanding in Worcester County for its excellent state of preservation, retaining intact the majority of its exterior and interior fabric, decorative detailing, and plan features. The modest Greek Revival decorative detailing also is characteristic of the period in the region, including corner block surrounds framing prominent exterior openings, and interior woodwork throughout the house. The two-part stepped rear wing represents a regional response to a mid-19th century trend to incorporate service functions within the envelope of the main dwelling rather than in separate outbuildings. Such wings often extend in linear fashion from the gable end of the main block; in this case, the service wing extends to the rear at a 90-degree angle to the main block, partially shielding it from public view. The Crockett House derives additional significance as one of only a few antebellum dwellings surviving in Pocomoke City, which was ravaged by destructive fires in 1888, 1896, and 1922. The Crockett House was spared by its location on the perimeter of the town, rather than in the dense business and residential area.