Paul Baker Touart
Millard Long Road, Westover, Somerset County
Arlington is a prominent mid-18th century Flemish bond brick dwelling that stands on the south side of Back Creek. Built around 1750 by Ephraim Wilson, the two-story, center hall, single-pile house is highlighted by glazed checkerboard brick patterns on each wall. Flush chimneys rise from each gable end of the roof, and finishing the base of the roof are plastered cove cornices. Finely laid rubbed brick jack arches span the south (main) facade window openings, while segmental arches with alternating glazed bricks top the side and rear window openings. Windows are 16/12 on the second floor, and 9/1 on the first floor. A Federal period hip-roofed porch, trimmed with a paired modillion block cornice, shelters the central front entrance, consisting of a large six-panel door (originally a double-leaf door, but reworked as a single-leaf door), topped by a three-light transom. The west gable end is two bays wide with belt courses between the first and second floors and between the second floor and attic gable. A pair of bricked-up window openings mark the first floor, while the second floor retains two 4/4 sash windows. Small square windows light the attic gable. All openings retain segmental arches with alternating glazed bricks. The north side has been partially altered c. 1947 with the addition of a one-story brick kitchen wing. The western portion of the north wall retains its original finish of random-glazed bricks. Fenestration is much like the south facade. On the east gable end there is a distinct shift in material between the Flemish bond wall and the rebuilt northeast corner of the house. No windows pierce the first floor, and a 1940s window illuminates the bathroom that occupies the northeast corner of the second floor. A single four-pane window pierces the attic gable to the south of the chimney. The interior survives with its original turned baluster walnut stair with a ramped and molded handrail. Like several houses on the lower Eastern Shore, the Georgian woodwork was removed from the first floor rooms during the early 20th century. The second floor survives with several original six-panel doors framed by period surrounds. Exposed in the unfinished attic is a common rafter roof system carried to tilted false plates.
Arlington, built around 1750-1760, is a crucially significant dwelling in Somerset County as one of those houses that represent an extreme in architectural achievement in the county. From the mid 18th century, only four other houses in Somerset County, (Westover, Almodington, Hayward Is Lott, and Waterloo) equal the high construction and design qualities found at Arlington. Erected in the best manner of mid-18th century brick masonry craftsmanship, Arlington displays finely executed glazed brick checkerboard patterns on each elevation as well as finely rubbed jack arches on the main facade. The front corners of the house, in addition to the edges around the front door and adjacent windows, are treated with rubbed brick borders also. The window and door openings on the other sides are enhanced with segmental arches of alternating glazed bricks. Finishing the base of the roof is a rarely found plastered cove cornice, which survives on only two other county houses (Almodington, and Cherry Grove). Sheltering the front entrance is a Federal period porch enriched with a cornice of paired modillion blocks and original engaged Tuscan columns against the back wall.