Davidsonville Historic District
Maryland Routes 424 & 214, Davidsonville, Anne Arundel County
The Davidsonville Historic District comprises a rural crossroads located at the intersection of Central Avenue (MD 214) and Davidsonville Road (MD 424) in central Anne Arundel County, Maryland. A total of fifteen properties are located within the district, including three churches, one commercial building, and eleven houses, representing the period from the village’s initial settlement ca. 1835 through the early 20th century, when it achieved its present form. Primarily dating from around the turn of the 20th century, the resources within the district reflect a variety of building forms and stylistic influences which characterized rural communities of the period in the region. They are located along Central Avenue, on lots of varying sizes; several of the houses on the north side of the road maintain a uniform setback line. The village reflects a pattern of linear development which is typical of small rural communities in agricultural settings in the Western Shore region of Maryland.
The Davidsonville Historic District is significant as a largely intact representative example of the type of crossroads community which characterized rural Anne Arundel County in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Davidsonville is among the best preserved examples of this type of community remaining in the county; other comparable villages have been obliterated by subsequent development. The village has maintained substantial integrity despite increasingly intensive development pressure in the surrounding area.