Paula S. Reed
Lehman's Mill Historic District
Lehman's Mill Road, Hagerstown, Washington County
The Lehman's Mill Historic District is located along Lehman's Mill Road just west of Marsh Run. The district consists of the remaining buildings of the mill group including the brick Lehman's Mill, built in 1869 for Henry F. Lehman, the farmstead with a stuccoed stone house dated 1837 with older and newer sections, a barn, carriage house, and agricultural outbuildings; another dwelling, also built by Lehman in 1877, a two-story brick and frame house located immediately west of the mill; related outbuildings, and a portion of the mill's head and tail race. These buildings form a cluster along both sides of Lehman's Mill Road, and together with a canopy of large old Buckeye trees retain the rural setting which conveys their use and purpose during the late 19th century. The mill is a 2 1/2-story, four-bay brick structure resting on coursed limestone foundations which remain from an earlier stone mill which was replaced in 1869 with the present structure. The mill is a gabled structure, four bays wide with 6/6 windows beneath wide wooden lintels. Doors at the main and upper levels are framed similarly to the windows with four-light transoms and paneled doors with six vertically aligned panels. The mill still operates, grinding meal and flour for a health food business. Although once operated by water, the mill is now powered by electricity. Leading into the mill from the mill pond site, directly north of the mill is a concrete-lined raceway. A tablet set in the north or front elevation of the mill indicates that it was built by Hays and Co. for H.F. Lehman in 1869. The main house on the property is eight bays long with the four easternmost bays recessed beneath a two-story galleried porch. The entire house is covered with a coat of "rough cast" or stucco which has been incised with struck lines to resemble block construction with blocks of approximately 1' x 2' dimensions. Attached to the northeast corner of the house is a brick-nogged frame summer kitchen and smoke house.
The Lehman's Mill Historic District located near Marsh Run, north of Hagerstown is significant for its association with the county's agricultural and economic history. It is the oldest continuously operating mill in Washington County, and is the most intact mill complex remaining in the county as well. Included here are the mill, mill farm, miller's house, assorted domestic agricultural and mill-related outbuildings, and vestiges of the mill race and dam. The complex reflects the economic heritage of the county which was based on 200-300 acre farms that were primarily devoted to small-grain farming which produced a lively economy in grist and flour milling that prospered in the 18th and 19th centuries and into the Depression period of the 20th century. Architecturally, the buildings reflect the building trends of the 19th century expressed in conservative representations of traditional Germanic design preferences tempered with a few details consistent with the Greek Revival style.