Paul Baker Touart
Jeptha Hayman Farm
Old Westover Marion Road, Kingston, Somerset County
The Jeptha Hayman House is a two-story, five-bay weatherboard frame dwelling. The oldest portion of the two-story, five bay, west-facing frame dwelling is dated by an inscribed brick to 1836. Supported on a low in-filled brick pier foundation, the center hall main block was built in two stages, beginning in 1836 with a two-story side hall/parlor dwelling. The northern two bays of the main block were added within the following few decades, c. 1850, thereby providing for a dining room and at the same time making the house more convenient by joining the service wing. The 1 1/2-story kitchen is estimated to date to the 1830s as well. Attached to the back of the house is a two-story one-room plan addition, the first floor of which is reported to have been moved from a site along the road. A c. 1900 Tuscan-columned porch supported on a rusticated concrete block knee wall stretches across the front of the house. The west elevation is an asymmetrical five-bay facade with a central entrance and two uneven bays with 9/1 sash windows to each side. A raised six-panel door, framed by a stepped molding, is topped by a four-light transom. The second floor is lit by five 6/1 sash windows. The window trim that frames the southern bays follows the stepped backband, while the northern bays are framed by plain surrounds. The south gable end is a plain weatherboard wall without window openings. A molded bargeboard finishes the flush gable end. Protruding through the roof is an interior end brick chimney finished with a corbeled cap. The date is inscribed in the east face of the stack. The east (rear) facade of the house has four exposed bays, while the two-story one-room plan addition covers the northernmost bay. The north gable end of the main house is largely covered by the single-story one-room plan kitchen. The interior finishes of the main block remain largely intact with well executed examples of late Federal and Greek Revival style Woodwork. Fluted surrounds frame six panel doors, and period chair rail, mantels, plaster walls, and baseboards remain in several room.
The Jeptha Hayman house is architecturally significant in Somerset County as a representation of a vernacular farmhouse that improved a moderate sized farm during the second quarter of the 19th century. The house is also a rare example of a dated mid-19th century farmhouse. It also displays a locally important building pattern. The initial two-story side hall/parlor was enlarged around 1850 by a two-story, one-room plan addition that joined the main house to the kitchen, and at the same time provided for a dining room. Although other examples of this building pattern remain in Somerset County, the Hayman House is the best preserved. This pattern of architectural change is an important sign of the early 19th century when pervasive domestic improvements and new social demands were altering the entrenched character of the 18th century lifestyle of yeoman and mid-level farmers of the lower Eastern Shore. Originally encompassing 129 acres, the Jeptha Hayman farm fell into the large middle range of Somerset County agricultural estates for the period.