Paul Baker Touart
All Saints Church at Monie
Venton Road, Venton, Somerset County
All Saints Church at Monie, a single-story frame building facing southwest, with the gable oriented on a northwest/southeast axis, is five bays across by one room deep. The 1881 frame church is supported by a continuous common bond brick foundation, covered by a steeply pitched asphalt shingle roof. Each side of the rectangular church is sheathed uniformly with weatherboard siding. Two small brick stove stacks pierce the central roofline. The southwest (main) elevation is five bays across with a gabled entrance vestibule in the northwest bay. The adjacent four bays of the church are filled with paired Gothic arched windows. The church interior has a vaulted blue ceiling with a series of tie beams spanning the distance between the side walls. Each end is supported by a decorative Victorian brace. The walls are fitted with horizontal board wainscoting. The church furniture consists of blocks of Victorian pews to either side of a center aisle. The pew ends were executed in a simple S-curve with chamfered corners and a club-shaped finial. The altar rail consists of turned balusters and a simple molded handrail. The altar furniture consists of Victorian style chairs. Located northwest of the church is the cemetery with 18th, 19th, and 20th century burial sites and markers.
All Saints Church at Monie, built in 1881, is significant for its architecture as a remarkably well preserved example of a small, rural Gothic Revival church taken from the designs of Richard Upjohn, a prominent mid-19th century architect. Upjohn published a series of designs for rural churches, parsonages, and schools which were copied or adapted widely by many small parishes nationwide. This church is one of nine known examples of this type of religious building still remaining in Maryland. Many more are known to have been built although a complete inventory of those built has never been made. All Saints Church can be compared with Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (1851, National Register) in Hillsboro, Caroline County, and Saint Andrew's Church (1878, National Register) near Sudlersville, Queen Anne's County. Most striking of these Upjohn inspired churches is Saint Michael's Chapel (1854, National Register) in Reisterstown, Baltimore County. All Saints Church is one of the last of this group of nine structures built in the 19th century and is the only one to have horizontal siding. The interior of All Saints Church retains most of the original furnishings and decorative detailing. The building possesses a high degree of integrity of historic character.